Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

black plastic weedblock material lining french drain

Old 05-26-10, 10:24 AM

I used a extra black plastic roll of weedblock I had lying around to line a trench/french drain. Should've just went out and bought some fabric, but I was being my usual impulsive self. Now I'm concerned that the water will slide along the bottom and collect at the bottom end of the trench too much. The roll packaging says that it is permeable and allows water to pass, but I'm still worried about it acting as a plastic bag rather than a filter. I've already completely filled in the trench, should I just dig it back up now and lay some fabric or see how it handles some rain?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-10, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well...just a non-expert opinion....but I think the plastic weedblock is junk. You can make a bag out of it and fill it with water and it barely drips out. I like the mesh/woven stuff a little better.

And yeah..I think you should have used the right stuff...but I'd do a wait and see..depending on how long the trench is.

Old 05-26-10, 11:07 AM
The one good thing is that the "french drain" portion of my trench is only the last 8-10 feet, and is preceded by about 30-40 feet of solid pipe before. Just trying to catch rainwater from downspout on back right corner of my house and carry it alongside my house out to the front yard. The french drain at the end was an effort to just disperse the water through my front yard. But I'm close enough to railroad ties at the bottom of my front yard that I dug a narrower overflow trench at about a third of the depth of the main trench. This will allow the water to seep through the wood if my trench is filling to fast.