Solenoid Valve Question

Old 05-31-10, 07:07 PM
Solenoid Valve Question

I assisted my son-in-law to plumb in a new Watts 800M4 QT anti-siphon valve with an Irritrol 2400T Solenoid Valve last week. Freeze damage had claimed the old parts due to a leaking water shut-off valve to the sprinkler system. The system is on city water.

When we open up the valves to the sprinkler system, the anti-siphon valve float will not close tightly, allowing water to simply bubble over the top of the valve. If the globe valve to the sprinkler lines is shut, the float will seal shut tightly. Is this indicative of a major break in the sprinkler lines. It is a 5-zone system, and opening up any one zone does not change anything.

It seems to me that the system is not pressuring up enough to shut the float. I took the solenoid valve off and opened up the main valve to check for city pressure. The water shot out about 8 feet horizontally, so there is enough pressure getting to the valves. I am guessing a major break in the line going to the distribution box. Any other guesses on the cause?

Regards,
Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-10, 04:29 AM
the bac-flo is also a reduced pressure bac-flo you clearly have a major break somewhere, probably a zone valve.

Old 06-22-10, 05:02 AM
I will let the system run for some time today to find the leak. Thanks for the reply, as the cause is what I expected. As soon as the leak is found, I will verify on this thread.

Chuck