Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

What is the proper slope for directing water away from the foundation?

Old 06-25-10, 09:22 PM

I'd like to know the minimum recommended slope for grading the soil around a house foundation, to ensure that water will runoff down the slope and stay away from the house? Also, how far out should I go? I don't want to grade it any steeper than necessary, for reasons that are unimportant to this discussion.

I was thinking of going down 1 inch per foot. I would take it out 6-7 feet, then have a 2-3 foot wide flat spot, before sloping back up to the current surface level. I'll cover the initial downward slope with 6 mil plastic, then cover the plastic with 3 inches of landscaping river rock. Is this adequate? Are there any rules of thumb to follow for slope and distance away from the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-10, 02:38 AM
That will work fine, and the plastic is a good idea, it is also a good idea to use gutters with downspouts that take the water away through a buried tile, make sure the first 6-8' feet are solid then couple a perforated tile to that