Cost to have irrigation system reconfigured?

Old 07-07-10, 12:35 PM
Question Cost to have irrigation system reconfigured?

Any idea what the approximate cost would be to have an irrigation system reconfigured? I have a 1/4 acre lot, and maybe 1/2 - 3/4 is irrigated. The system was installed by the previous owner and the main issue is some of the heads are in the wrong place or the wrong types of heads are in the wrong place. Also, he put different types of heads on the same zone. I would probably need about 4 zones reworked.

Any ideas on cost? I just don't want to waste my time getting estimates if it's too expensive. I don't think I'm up to doing this project on my own.

Overall, is it worth having something like this done? Will I actually save in water costs?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-10, 08:26 AM
I'm in a similar situation. I have 4 zones installed by the previous owner (not by a pro). His original design did not even have head-to-head coverage. I have mapped my yard and I plan to send in to Rain Bird for their free service. If they provide a layout similar to what I have, I will try to fix my system. I don't hold much hope though. I believe there should have been at least 5 zones. On top of that, I did have a (cough), "Pro" company come out to fix a leaking zone and they completely messed it up by adding a new one. At the end of the day, I think it would be less expensive to install a brand new system than have them fix 80% of your existing. I'm about to find out. Not sure where I'll draw the line, but if I have to dig up and repair more than 60% of my system, I'll start fresh with an entirely new one.

Old 07-08-10, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by jmartin104 View Post
I'm in a similar situation. I have 4 zones installed by the previous owner (not by a pro). His original design did not even have head-to-head coverage.
I don't think the previous owner of my house knew what head-to-head coverage was either.

Old 07-08-10, 08:48 AM
Is there a way to determine whether a sprinkler head is at the end of the zone without digging everything up? That's one concern that I have if I want to cap off some sprinkler heads - I can't just cap off ones on the end or they could potentially freeze.

Thanks.

Old 07-09-10, 01:51 PM
Not sure, but a couple of things come to mind:

Take a look at the layout of the heads and try to imagine the most efficient layout of the pipes. If you have a 50' x 10' run, I'd think the farthest head from the pump is just that, the farthest away. It may not get you to the last head but might get you close.

You may have to end up digging around each head just to see what direction the pipe goes.

Maybe someone with more experience can help. I'm in Florida so freezing isn't much of an issue. Beer 4U2

Old 07-12-10, 04:59 PM
lot's of things to consider but to give you an idea, I just rebuilt a system that was 7 zones. All new valves, 29 new heads, corrected spacing, and turf repairs for $1800 a new system would have been about $2800 the biggest problem was the 3/4 " pipe it all should have been 1" for better flow and gpm. As far as knowing the end, it should be on an elbow not a T or saddle and to correct the winterizing problem install a king cutter drain and forget it, just screw it in the place of the head and turn it down so it will drain, and bury.