walnut tree question

Old 07-13-10, 09:13 PM
Post walnut tree question

In needing to build an earth berm it is necessary to put dirt over black walnut tree and root area, can the fill touch the trunk of the 14" tree or should I build a circular rock shell around the tree to leave an area where air will always be between the dirt & the trunk and will 12-18" of fill over the roots kill a black walnut or do they tend to not have surface roots?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-10, 03:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Black walnuts have both deep and some surface roots, mostly deep. Are you berming around the tree itself? I wouldn't cover the root system too deep. 12-18" will probably kill the tree. In all honesty, black walnut trees aren't good around gardens as they are toxic to plants. If it is a shade tree, then fine. I had one on a creekbank next to my garden and had it taken out last year. The tree contractor took it out and cleaned up for the wood content alone. It is a very valuable wood product, so if you decide to remove it, make a deal.

Old 07-14-10, 07:58 PM
can the fill touch the trunk
No. I don't have personal experience, but I've heard many times from reliable sources that doing so will kill the tree.