Where can I install irrigation valves?

Old 07-19-10, 06:56 PM
Where can I install irrigation valves?

I have a large crawl space where i would like to install my valve manifold and valves for my irrigation system. In my current system the valves are located by the street. My property sits well above the valves that are in use now. Does any one know if installing the valves in the crawl space is against the Uniform Plumbing Code? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-10, 03:53 PM
Might make the system a pain to winterize if the valve box has to be accessed by going into the crawlspace.

The manifold that makes up the zones is um... not something you'd want under your house anyway. It'd be kinda like a good quality garden hose with a closed nozzle connected to an open spigot. Perfectly leak free, but do you want it under your house 24/7?

Old 07-21-10, 06:05 PM
Thanks Mick!

I understand your concerns but the main shut off is at the street with the backflow preventer and I intend to install blowout values for clearing the system. The thing I wished you had responded to was the main question, DOES IT GO AGAINST THE UNIFORM PLUMBING CODE? Sorry for shouting.

Old 07-21-10, 07:24 PM
I didn't anticipate being the only one to reply. If your question is unanswered it is because others who have viewed it have determined that the UPC is a general code on which specific local ordinances are based and not knowing your location have refrained from commenting. I have lots to learn from them.

If a valve box is located near the street shut-off it is likely that moving it anywhere else is against your local ordinance, but...

Your local extension service can point you in the right direction and offer you directory assistance to the office or even person who can answer your question most accurately.

Old 07-21-10, 10:06 PM
Thanks again.

Thanks I will check with them.