Downspout drainage - nowhere to go!

Old 07-28-10, 01:54 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Downspout drainage - nowhere to go!

Hello. See my downspout image below. When we get a heavy rain, or snow is melting like crazy off the roof, the water pools up at the bottom of the downspout. You can see where my mulch has washed away.

I am concerned about having a pool of water right up against my foundation. Is there a quick fix for this? There isn't really anywhere to put the water. Shooting it across the driveway would be dangerous in the winter, and the grade going forward (left side of picture) does not lend itself to installing a drain pipe. Would digging a pit and filling with drainage rock or something like that help at all? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-10, 04:16 PM
It might help but I am doubtful. The problem with a pit that does not drain anywhere is well, frankly a mud hole. So if it is raining heavily then the hole is already full of water so the excess from the gutter will do what it is now...run across the top to drain away.
The only fix is to install drain pipe to get the water away from the home. The best way would be to start the drainpipe where it come straight off the house. Remove the short piece running down the driveway. Then if the grade is ok then go straight across the driveway with the drain. It really depends on where you need to go to get proper drain angle to get rid of the water.
It needs to go to a properly draining ditch or storm drain.
That means yes you will need to tear up the driveway, but only enough to get the pipe installed. Not the whole drive just a ditch to lay the pipe into.
Do you have a basement there? If so which is better flooded basement or un-patched driveway.

Old 07-28-10, 06:00 PM
M
I do actually need a new driveway and have been saving up for that - maybe next summer. However, at the right side of my driveway is a steep hill - going....you guessed it.....up, so I don't know if draining in that direction would work.

One thought I had is to cut that downspout a few feet up and re-route it next to the porch out to the front yard, maybe even in the garden. (My porch actually has a downspout shooting out into the garden in the front right now, and that never seems to pool up. You can see the downspout off to the right in one picture, going under some plants).

Old 07-30-10, 11:13 AM
A
drainage

What about diverting it and then creating an area of decorative gravel for it to drain into-- gets rid of the mud issue.

Old 07-30-10, 12:13 PM
W
depending on the type of soil you have, and the amount of water you have to deal with a dry well in the far part of the lawn might work. It can be something as simple as a gravel filled perforated drum to receive the water. I have a buried 30 gal drum wrapped with landscape cloth and filled with 3/4" gravel. It's fed by the downspout at the rear of my house. At the top I have a 4" plastic drain pipe that extends another 30' to handle any overflow during very heavy rains.

Another option might be to have the gutter feed in a different direction. I had to do that to fix a pooling problem between my garage and house. I simply sloped the gutter to drain to the other side of the house.

None of which keeps my basement dry though.

Old 08-01-10, 06:37 AM
G
fix

I would first try putting an extension on the present down spout and having it drain into the front bed as you thought about.

Old 08-01-10, 06:41 AM
G
Ps.....

Originally Posted by gqlefty View Post
I would first try putting an extension on the present down spout and having it drain into the front bed as you thought about.
PS.... You can buy those flexible black drainage tubes at your local HD or Lowes.