Using ground up stump for mulch?

Old 08-04-10, 11:08 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using ground up stump for mulch?

Hi, we had a stump ground up after the tree was cut down, and of course they left all the sawdust and debris in the hole. Can I use that in my flower bed? I was thinking that is what mulch is after all, but maybe the mulch is treated with something. The tree was a healthy chinese tallow, just got tired of picking up all the seeds.
Thanks for input!

Old 08-04-10, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Sure..you can use it...but be aware decaying wood will delete certain elements in the soil...nitrogen I think?

Old 08-04-10, 05:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I've put stump grindings mixed with some composted cow maneur on flowers with good luck. Now that I have a well developed compost pile I throw it (sawdust, wood chips, stump grindings...) on the compost pile and use it next year.

Old 08-05-10, 09:41 AM
N
I've done it in the past with various trees that I've had cut down. What you might encounter though is wherever you spread this mulch, you may start to see are 'little trees' begining to grow. Easy enough to pull out but just one more thing to weed out of your flower beds.

Old 08-05-10, 10:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My only concern would be if the tree was cut down because it was diseased, other than that - it should be fine

jeez, I just now noticed where the op said it was a healthy tree

Last edited by marksr; 08-05-10 at 10:03 AM. Reason: add last line
Old 08-05-10, 12:15 PM
R
of course they left all the sawdust and debris in the hole
While they were taking the easy way out, there is a purpose served by leaving the chipped wood in the hole as it helps prevent a trip and/or fall should someone step in it. Unless this was a giant tree, you’re not going to get more than a bag or two of ‘mulch’ by taking it out of the hole. Most stump grinders only grind flush to ground although I always ask them to take it down as far as possible . . . but only talking about 8 or so inches.

I usually rake surrounding dirt over the hole so that the sand gradually filters into the crevices left by the chipped wood. I would buy a couple bags of mulch for the flower bed . . . otherwise, it seems like duplicative work if having to go back w/ soil to fill the hole.

Good quality mulches are only treated w/ dye if choosing a colored one. Poor quality mulches may grind-up old wood pallets and other construction debris so that wood may have been treated if PT lumber . . . may also have nails, glass, and other metal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: