What Has Happened To Landscape Timbers??

Old 09-07-10, 08:26 PM
Question What Has Happened To Landscape Timbers??

I am in the process of doing some landscaping and I need several Landscape timbers. I have checked with four different stores and none of the timbers I looked at are treated for "soil contact"
What is the point of buying LT that are not treated for insect and rot damage???
I wonder how many people have noticed this because they were selling several every day
Can a person buy Landscape Timbers that you can place on the ground??

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-10, 08:43 PM
I can only offer sympathy. 4 years ago I had went shopping for landscape timbers specifically rated for ground contact. All I found were timbers that were labels "rejected" or something like that that indicated that they were not suitable for ground contact. Layed 'em on a channel of fine gravel. But they're still there so... Wait a minute did I also spar urethane the ends and underbellies? I know it was a buncha rigamorrow over something that should have been much simpler.

Old 09-07-10, 09:03 PM
The problem is new growth, soft lumber and just dipping in a colored/dyed "preservative" of low concentration that does not really penetrate to where moisture can be held while it destroys the structure of the wood.

Dick

Old 09-08-10, 03:36 AM
Use pole barn construction treated lumber most is .30 which will last for years in typical construction 25-30 years or more and then there is the .60 that is what is recommended for basement walls for a lifetime. I use the former often.

Old 09-08-10, 07:37 AM
Try a lumber store. They may have to special order them.

I have PT ties that I used for a retaining wall. They were rated for burial/ground contact and are CCA treated. They are still solid after 25 years. I have PT ties bought at a big box about 10 years ago to use for flower beds. They are already rotting.

Old 09-08-10, 08:57 AM
Since Wheeler Lake is not to far away, you should see if there is a marine lumber yard in close proximity that caters to dockbuilders.

They carry higher grades of PT lumber not found in regular lumber yards. Typically, you’ll find ranges between 0.60 pcf and possibly as high as marine grade (salt water immersion), 2.50 pcf (usually only found at marine lumber yards around coastal areas).

This link shows different grades http://www.bp-plus.com/pdf/treated_wood_specguide.pdf (see page 4).

Old 09-08-10, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Nice link but CCA is no longer sold in my area. It's a shame because it worked well and was less expensive than the ACQ that is used now.

In my area you have to special order 2-by lumber if you want it treated for ground contact. 4-by or larger lumber and timbers standard treated for ground contact. but nothing around here is rated for salt water use.

Old 09-09-10, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
Nice link but CCA is no longer sold in my area. It's a shame because it worked well and was less expensive than the ACQ that is used now.

In my area you have to special order 2-by lumber if you want it treated for ground contact. 4-by or larger lumber and timbers standard treated for ground contact. but nothing around here is rated for salt water use.
CCA treated timbers are available. There are some restrictions concerning residential use.

I recently read a study on (2.5 psf) CCA treated pilingsthat concluded "To the surprise of researchers, the leachate from treated piling caused lower mortality among the seabottom creatures than the leachate from untreated controls.