What's Happened To Prices??

Old 09-19-10, 03:26 PM
Question What's Happened To Prices??

I went to two of the BigBox stores and priced their landscaping rock. I was interested in about 150 bags that are 1/2 cu. ft.
Normally, you would think that buying by the bulk would be cheaper and I checked on that because I have a small tractor with front end loader. I found that I could actually save a whopping $4.00 by buying in the bulk. I checked with two suppliers.
I found the same to be true with landscape mulch!
I ended up buying 150 bags from a large indipendent green house for about $1.50 cheaper then the BBS
The price of their "egg rock" was $2.65 per bag 1/2 cu ft. and no discount for volume!
I am a TOTAL Do It Myself person so I do a lot of price searching. I am finding that virtually every item the BBS sells can be bought cheaper from a hardware store

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-10, 03:44 PM
It is then end of the DIY season for that product they or have or committed to are dumping the excess to to make room for the next season products and interest. Some stores may be in between seasons, so the price cuts may last longer, but don't count on it.

Dick

Old 09-19-10, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry View Post
It is then end of the DIY season for that product they or have or committed to are dumping the excess to to make room for the next season products and interest. Some stores may be in between seasons, so the price cuts may last longer, but don't count on it.

Dick
These items were bought in May of this year and no discount was offered. Yesterday I bought some more bags and the prices were the same

Old 09-19-10, 04:17 PM
Not sure how you are defining bulk but in my mind bulk comes in yards off a dump truck. My experience is just the opposite. I have one hardware store left in my area and their prices are way more than any of the 4 big boxes nearby.

However, I buy most of my landscaping material in bulk from a local guy that sells mulch, gravel, topsoil etc. He beats the bagged stuff price by a bunch. Mulch prices aren't even in the same zip code between bagged and bulk.

Old 09-19-10, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
Not sure how you are defining bulk but in my mind bulk comes in yards off a dump truck. My experience is just the opposite. I have one hardware store left in my area and their prices are way more than any of the 4 big boxes nearby.

However, I buy most of my landscaping material in bulk from a local guy that sells mulch, gravel, topsoil etc. He beats the bagged stuff price by a bunch. Mulch prices aren't even in the same zip code between bagged and bulk.
Yes that certainly makes sense to me. By bulk he would load a bucket and fill my traler, and then I would have to unload it. Another place would deliver the stone and dump it, then I could use my loader.
It just makes sense that bagged landscape material would cost more, that's what I can't understand, but it's true in my area.

Old 09-20-10, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked with your local gov't? I can go just across the state line and buy mulch or compost from the sanitation dept for about $15 for a full pickup load. They used to sell it in my county and it was only $5 a load [double if you didn't bring a tarp] The mulch is made from the brush that the city/county picks up.

Old 09-20-10, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Some materials never get marked down at a BB. Mulch, compost, fertilizer..normally yes...stone, pavers, etc...normally no..unless they get a new supplier and need to clear out the old. The former can go bad/expire...the latter don't.