Way too much fertilizer

Old 09-26-10, 05:24 PM
Way too much fertilizer

I put down almost 2.5 the recommended amount of fertilizer nitrogen (scott winterguard w/out weed killer) on approx. 1750 to 2000 sq ft. I won't into the details of the stupid set of events that led to this, save I wasn't familiar with the product and a had a spreader malfunction I was not aware of. First time homeowner.

I'm in NH

1) I'm prepared to write off the lawn and start over as it wasn't in great shape.
2) This was over a leach field too. Will the nitrogen just leach out over time and go back to normal
3) Several large trees (like 50 ft oak) abut the leach field and I'm certain the roots are under the field to some extent. Would this amount of fertilizer cause any damage to those trees

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-10, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Oak trees are pretty forgiving, and unless you see yellow leaves on the lower limbs in spring, you may have dodged the bullet.
As you will see in other threads, take soil samples to your local county extension service to have it evaluated. Their analysis will give you the exact mixture of fertilizer and lime as well as other nutrients you should use based on the deficiencies of the soil.
Trash the spreader, or repair it to where it will apply properly and take your time. Keep us posted.

Old 09-26-10, 07:37 PM
thanks

Yeah these are pretty high oaks and elms 40 to 50 feet I'd say. A lot of the material I put down was 20 to 30 feet away from the tree line too, I'm hoping there won't be enough close enough to each tree to do any damage.

Just need to call the septic guys to see what they say about the excess nitrogen on top of the leach field.

Definately one of my stupider moments in life

Old 09-27-10, 06:07 AM
"If we don't learn from our mistakes, we are certainly destined to repeat them" Good luck with your fall and winter preparations.

Old 09-27-10, 02:02 PM
For the grass i would water, water, water! I wouldnt worry much about the trees or the leach field.

Old 09-28-10, 04:22 AM
I alway's recommend using twice the recommended amount on the bag, the coverage they print is at the most minimum rate and most lawns will not green up sufficiently at that rate, don't worry and if you are then water it in, unless you dumped it on in piles it will not burn.

Old 09-28-10, 06:10 AM
I also apply fertilizer at much higher rates than the bag recommends. I don't think you did serious damage to your lawn. This time of year, its cool enough to minimize burning, and the grass growth rate is slowing way down. Just make sure to keep it well watered, and you should be fine.

Old 09-28-10, 10:21 AM
That's interesting about overfertilizing. Luckily we're got good rain yesterday in New Hampshire and it's supposed rain off and on throughout the week. So far the grass that was green is still green. The stuff I did put down was pretty spread out too. The lawn was pretty thin and bare in places before this anyway. I wanted to help it out for next season. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for all your replies. Still a lesson learned to do more research first when DIY

Old 09-28-10, 11:44 AM
The amount of fertilizer you put down should not harm your lawn. I use a broadcast spreader and I sometimes screw up and fertilize over an area I've already covered, effectively applying twice the recommended amount. The result is always the same. Brighter, greener, healthier grass in the area I overfertilized.

Don't worry about it. Worry about how deep the snow is going to get up there instead.

Old 09-28-10, 02:13 PM
Try controlling overspray of the fertilizer or lime using a tractor and cone spreader Quite difficult to do, and you do get overspray, even when you try to do it right. I spread a half ton per load and wind up using one or two tons at a time.

Old 09-28-10, 04:31 PM
Cone spreader! Try controlling the overspray on a manure spreader with a juicy load. I'm talking about the old fashioned throw it everywhere spreaders not the new rotary types with deflectors for the guy on the tractor to hide behind. One of my favorite jobs when I was a kid.

I used to have a large frock coat and a big floppy hat that I wore. They are probably still around. Preserved in a hundred layers of dried cow manure.

Old 09-29-10, 09:09 AM
Thanks again, by the way, would the Nitrogen content make a difference. I used Winterguard at about 32% Nitrogen. At 1750 sq ft would call for around 5.75 to 6 pounds of product (1 pd N per 1000 sq ft). I ended up putting around 15 or 16. Would the higher % of N of the product change anything as compared to 2.5 times the amount of a 10-10-10 product or something.

Old 09-29-10, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Just changes the ratio of what you put down too much of

It's been a few days, I would assume you would be seeing signs of problems by now if there were going to be any