Bermuda green all year?

Old 10-06-10, 07:05 AM
Bermuda green all year?

Is it possible to keep the 419 bermuda grass green all year long? If so, how? Besides fertilizing often, I will broadcast Ironite 3 to 4 times during Spring and Summer to try and rid the lawn of the brown spots but I have not yet tried to keep the grass green all year long.
Thanks
Van

Last edited by stickshift; 10-06-10 at 07:30 AM. Reason: removed quoting of entire post
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-10, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
Van - I moved your question out into a post of its own to increase visibility

Welcome to the forums

Old 10-06-10, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
I saw a story on the news a few weeks ago about a company that comes out and dyes your lawn with a spray solution. They said it's safe and lasts quite a while. I can't remember the name tho. Maybe do a google search and if I think of it, I'll post back.

Old 10-10-10, 11:47 AM
Thumbs up Green all year for sure.

Van Lee I live in Rosharon, Texas and last year I put down some Bermuda grass. I'm not sure if it was specifically "419" but it was Bermuda grass nonetheless. The answer is yes it does stay green all year. It was kind of funny since I was the only person on my block to do this. Nothing but brown grass, then one random green lawn. Only advise I have is not to lay down too much as mowing the thick lawn isn't too fun especially in the cold.

Old 10-11-10, 09:09 AM
If you have frost or get below 32 your bermuda will go dormant. I lived in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas for several years and bermuda would hold a little color in the winter, but not much. Its all temperature related!

Old 10-13-10, 11:59 AM
I sodded my yard 5 years ago and it is for the most part doing very well. However, it has always turned brown usually mid to late fall. I was just wondering if this type of bermuda can be made to stay green by applying some type of fertilizer or something and continous watering. I have continued to water but to no avail, it still turns brown. Let me know if you hear of anything I can apply to keep this from happening. Thanks a million!!

Old 10-13-10, 12:07 PM
How do golf courses keep their grass throughout the winter months? I have seen some of the more well kept courses that somehow manage to keep the fairways and greens just as pretty in the winter as they are in the spring. I live in central Tx and yes I do get the frost and temps below 32. With what you have said, I do not have a choice then and should just accept the brown during the winter months. This will be fine too, I have been used to that but wanted to check out other possibilities and see if there was anything I could do to prevent that. Thank you much for the reply.

Old 10-15-10, 12:50 PM
As a Golf Course Superintendent I can tell you that the only way to keep a green lawn in central texas is to overseed it with Rye grass. That is why you see green fairways, tee boxes and greens. They overseed about right now. The Rye will burn off next spring as the Bermuda wakes up.