Using blower to vacuum bush clippings

Old 10-29-10, 09:39 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using blower to vacuum bush clippings

I have a decent amount of bushes.. and was thinking about buying a leaf blower to use its vacuum feature to pick up all the bush trimmings

does this work? Or will I burn out the blower because of the little sticks?

I don't want to buy one and find out it doesn't work for that.. anyone do this currently?

Old 10-29-10, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It can work..but I'll tell you..most consumer models get pretty unwieldy. The bag as it fills moves the balance and the handles aren't situated in the best places. Some are also a pain when switching from blower to vac...requiring tools, not just flipping a latch or turning a knob.

They won't pick up bigger cuttings (say 5-6 inches) as they will jam in the tube or at the mulcher.

Finally...some units use the plastic/nylon fan as the actual mulcher. Not a big deal with just dry leaves, but sticks and nuts will wear it out. Look for a model with a supplementary metal grinder attached below the fan...kinda looks like the blades in a garbage disposal.

All that said....I found it easier to just rake any clippings onto a tarp...or even slide the tarp up around the base of the bushes and just let the clippings fall on it.

Old 10-29-10, 10:02 AM
T
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello Ibjames,

I have the Toro leaf blower/vacuum, and I tried using the vacuum feature when I first got it, and I found the leaves were chopped up really small, and wasn't worth the effort. On the negative side, when you use the vacuum feature on small twigs, those twigs must work their way past the impeller, which can shorten the life of the unit, not to mention the debris can get clogged and then you'll have to either unclog it or replace it, leaving a yard full of leaves remaining.

What I normally do now is blow all the debris off the bushes, and anywhere else, then force it into a pile to be moved, either by rake, or tarp. If you do get one, invest in some ear and eye protection, most of these blowers are very loud.

Tangelo

Old 10-29-10, 10:44 AM
I
Thanks a lot!

I am looking at the toro, I guess I'll get some tarps too

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: