Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Clarification please on Lawn Mower Blade Sharpening

Old 01-23-11, 07:50 PM

This past weekend, I took my lawn mower into a repair shop to sharpen the blade. But I am concerned that the sharpening job wasn't done properly. Since this is the first time that I have ever needed to get this blade sharpened, I want to make sure that I am not just imagining a problem.

The mower is a Craftsman 21" mulching mower with bag. I can't find a good pic of the actual blade online, but it looks like a standard rotary blade with just a couple of extra curves along the leading edge as you approach the center of the blade.

Here is my concern: The outer-most edge of the blade, the section of blade that is closest to the ground, was not sharpened at all. It wasn't cleaned, sharpened, nothing. The outer-most 2"-3" of the blade is dull and almost blunt. And since this particular section of the blade is the section that is closest to the ground (and is also the cut-point from which I have based my cutting lenghts) I am concerned that I will now have some sort of uneven cutting or get torn grass.

I am giving the lawnmower shop the benefit of the doubt because the rest of the blade seemed so nicely sharpened. I just question whether this style of mulching blade is SUPPOSED to be blunt at the very edges. Is it a safety-thing where the edges are more blunt to prevent chips/cracks along the blade? Or does the blunt edge help direct cut grass toward the bag catcher?

This is a mower shop that I have never dealt with previously, but they have been in business for a while. So I tend to believe that this uneven sharpening was for a reason, but I can't find anything online to calm my concerns.

Anything info or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-11, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I know it's too late, but if you want to be doubly sure, and we can't see the blade, why not pick up a new one at the Sears store (probably $10) and compare it to the shop results. If satisfactory, you have a spare blade for when yours gets dull. If not, you can take it and the mower back to the shop for a rectification, and STILL have a spare. I keep 2 extra sets (6 blades) for my Kubota ZTR just for the convenience of not having to sharpen them at that moment. Change them and sharpen at a later date.