re-sodding questions

Old 02-14-11, 12:03 PM
re-sodding questions

Hi all,
I'm going to be resodding my yard in a few weeks, and I'm trying to work out my plans.

I first plan to get a sod cutter to get rid of the old, not so great sod (full of weeds and such). With doing this, I have certain areas where it is just unusable or patchy sod, and others where it is just dirt and weeds. In the dirt and weed areas, am I better off spraying roundup a few days before and raking it up good?

Thanks, I feel like I have more questions, but they will come up!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-11, 01:17 PM
Group Moderator
I wouldn't get a sod cutter, I'd spray the whole thing with RoundUp and rototill it all up once everything is dead (may have to spray some weeds more than once, give them 10 days to two weeks and spray again if they still look viable)

A soil test now would be a great idea and you could till in any amendments

Old 02-14-11, 01:32 PM
i think that would be an option if I wasn't doing such a large area. All told, we will need to use a large amount of sod to do this.

If I can ask, why not use a sod cutter, at least for the "actual sod" and not the just weed areas?

Old 02-14-11, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Putting down sod isn't any different than planting grass seed - optimal prep work leads to the optimal lawn

Your lawn and your call - I laid out what I would do but I don't see the rototiller as any more work than the sod cutter and some raking so I'm not sure what your objection is

Old 02-14-11, 01:57 PM
It isn't an objection, I was just curious why you say that is optimal. I've read both sides of the coin, so I'm simply looking for opinion why.

And I guess it does seem like doing it with a roto tiller is more work, granted I'm not familiar with either, which is why I'm happy there is this forum for me to learn.

I'm sorry if I came across as objecting, when it was truly just curiosity.

Old 02-15-11, 05:01 AM
Group Moderator
Here's the idea: Your lawn is not doing well, thus the reason you want to lay new sod. The problem needing to be addressed is why your lawn is not doing well - if you don't resolve that, the new sod will very quickly look like your current lawn. By killing everything and tilling it up, you create the optimal environment for the new sod to take root and thrive and also address any soil compaction issues you may have had while killing everything you don't want so it doesn't grow back up through your new sod. If your soil had issues, the soil test would reveal that and tilling in the amendments recommended is a great way to get them distributed through the soil.

Bottom line is sod is expensive and not an overly fun thing to install, my opinion is there's not a lot more work required to make sure it does as well as possible