Overhaul of Rear Yard

Old 02-16-11, 08:50 AM
Overhaul of Rear Yard

I am planning to have my 3400 square foot rear yard landscaped which will require to have lime and nutrients added. Then its to be tilled and graded for water runoff.
Then rolled for the preparation of laying down fescue sod.
I have no idea what it may cost to hire a landscaper. I am hoping its in the range of $5,000 or less. If it cost much more, I may have to add the nutrients and till the soil myself to save some money. I have no experience grading soil.
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-11, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Probably not, as there are factors which would influence the price we cannot know online like this

Best bet is to have at least three contractors come out and bid the job and then compare

Old 02-16-11, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What you can do yourself depends a lot on what kind of equipment you have. Unless the grading is minor and can be done by hand - you'll need a tractor. While it's hard work, you could do the final dressing of the dirt and lay the sod yourself.

Old 02-16-11, 05:05 PM
Thanks both,
I think the only hard part of the job I can handle is the tilling. I am going to leave the sod laying to others. Sod laying is a young man's job; so that leaves me out. Even if I can manage to rent a tiller, I would still need to rent a truck to bring it home. Sometimes its not worth the effort; especially when the contractor already owns a tiller and other equipment needed. I'll be calling a contractor tomorrow.

Old 03-11-11, 03:02 AM
I think the "This Old House" magazine has advertizers displaying garden products. I believe you will find them a bit pricey and not the type you find in discount stores.