Stepping Stones Before or After Grass Seed?

Old 02-27-11, 05:39 AM
Stepping Stones Before or After Grass Seed?

Our back yard grass got tore up during some recent construction. We want to create a stepping stone path on one portion of it. Should I lay stone for the path before or after reseeding and letting the grass grow?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-11, 06:06 AM
I'm definitely a diy'er and nothing more, but I think you need to first dig down along your chosen path. Spread with limestone screenings (a couple of inches should do). This will stop the stones from shifting. You also need some landscape fabric under the stones. This will prevent anything from growing up in between. It would be easier to dig your path without grassroots tangled in. Enjoy your garden!

Old 02-27-11, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
I have done it both ways but if the area is already torn-up I would place the stones before seeding. You can do whatever digging you need to place and support the stones then smooth the dirt around them and plant grass. If you place the stones after you would be disturbing the area you just worked hard to smooth and seed.

Old 03-08-11, 05:11 PM
Gerald Allen

It kind of depends. Are you tilling up the yard before seeding? If you are then its best to have as much out of the way as possible. So in this case don't lay the stepping stones first. I'd suggest clearing the yard of as much stuff as you can. Then start by working up the soil. After that pick up as many of the rocks on the surface as you can stomach. Then level out the loose soil on the surface area with a rake (I'm assuming you have a relatively small yard) as best you can. Broadcast 4-6 lbs of fertilizer per 1000 sq feet and then spread your grass seed at the about 6 lbs per 1000 sq feet. Finally... to the stepping stones. Immediately after seeding I'd recommend laying the stones while its dry and solid in that newly seeded space. One thing you don't want is a down pour of rain before you lay the stones - I mean you do want rain to get the grass growing but you don't want to be tromping around on soggy - muddy soil wrestling big flagstones around. So its best to get the stepping stones laid asap after the seeding is complete. Check out my website,******* where I numerous other outdoor project related articles written

Last edited by Shadeladie; 03-08-11 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Website removed