I'm so confused....

Old 03-14-11, 09:37 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm so confused....

There appears to be many different products on the market and even so many homemade ideas on the sticky here, that I can't really figure out where to begin.

My lawn is a mix of various types of grass. Most important now is that I have over half the yard brown with dried grass/weeds that I can even rake up with out a big problem.

I would like to know what I need to do in order to get a half way good looking yard. I have no problem with the idea of spending a couple of days raking up and pulling up (where necessary) all the brown stuff. But what steps do I take after that? Do I fertilize with a crabgrass killer, the put down seed and cover with straw? Do I need to add top soil?

I really don't know what steps, products, etc. to use/take and would appreciate any and all help.

Many thanks in advance.....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-11, 01:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
First I would stop by your county agricultural extension office and pick up a soil sample box/kit. The soil testing is often free. Many states have a form you submit with the sample and you tell them what you want to grow and they will respond not only with a soil analysis but they will also recommend what you need to add to the soil.

I was all prepared to lime my yard until I submitted a sample. It turned out lime was not needed, so the test saved me a good bit of money.