Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

newbie! help - need to buy a lawnmower and I've never mowed a lawn.

Old 03-16-11, 01:29 PM

Hi - I bought a house in January on a 3/4 acre lot. Most of it is lawn. Clearly, I need to learn a lot about taking care of it.

First and foremost -- what kind of lawnmower to buy? Thinking electric walk-behind. Front yard flat, back yard slopes down away from the house at a slight grade.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-11, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
If you have the money you most likely want gas, self propelled, wide cut width.

A riding mower you can get all kinds of attachments for thaching, leaves, fertilizing, snow removal, etc.... One unit does it all. If I had the land thats what I would get.

Attachments for John Deere Riding Mowers

Mike NJ

Old 03-16-11, 02:15 PM
aren't riding mowers incredibly expensive? Do you think my plot is too big for walk-behind? The lawn isn't 3/4 of an acre, because the house, garage and driveway take up 1/3 of the property.

Old 03-16-11, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
I have 1/4 acre and its a pain to mow. The front is not bad but the back is long. Back and forth...back and forth..

I see so many people either run the cord over on the electrics or burn the motors out because they wait too long to mow.

Riding are expensive but its a investment. Plus with all the attachments you need you will not need to buy seperate equiptment with several motors and oil changes, maintainance, etc..

Like I said if you have the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Or go for something like this, but you see its more than the tractor, but a great deal.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

This is what I have. I like it because it has a clutch that keeps the engine going and the blade engauges seperately. Mine is older and has the briggs motor. I dont know about the Honda motors with reliability.

Mike NJ

Old 03-16-11, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the links! I'll check this out.

Old 03-16-11, 04:27 PM
IMO a half acre of lawn is walking size. A lot depends on how energetic and ambitious you are and how much time you have to dedicate to lawn maintenance. And of course budget.

Go to the Cub Cadet site and look at their wide walk behinds. My neighbor mows over an acre with one. I think a lawn tractor may be overkill for the area you have to mow.

Old 03-17-11, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would add that I wouldn't even consider an electric mower on anything bigger than a small condo size lawn. A 1/2 acre of grass would be the maximum that I'd want to mow even with a self propelled mower.

Old 03-17-11, 10:58 AM
Wild guess -- if you've never mowed before, you're young-ish? Implying healthy-ish? (OK, assumptions there).

Mowing is not that difficult on flat lawns, you'll have a range of choices. Strange idea... offer to mow your neighbor's lawn with whatever he has, just to get the hang of it.

Data point: I mow my 1/2-acre more frequently than most, with a 22" wide Toro which is not self-propelled (nice except for weight, at 69LB must be 20lb heavier than the old Lawn-Boy 2-stroke unit). I can do the yard in 45-50 minutes without breaking a sweat unless truly hot. I will shortly be 55 years old. Seriously considering a motor-less "reel mower". My very nice John Deere tractor stays in the shed except during leaf-collection season.

Congrats on the new house, enjoy taking care of it!