Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Massive drainage/grading issues in yard...beyond DIY. Who do we call for help?

Old 03-19-11, 07:44 AM

I need some help figuring out who to call in to look at our yard. The back has always been wet in the spring. This year it's worse than ever with all the snow and rain we've had. We get ground water in the house, the garage floods regularly. I've had a number of people in to give estimates on work I cannot do myself (mold remediation, inside water proofing) but the cause of the problems we're having is the flow of ground water all around us. Is there such a thing as a landscape engineer? I fear we need things like backhoes and drains all around the perimeter, and re-grading...I know we need a whole new driveway that's engineered and graded properly. Probably an internal sump pump or six...anyone know what kind of company (companies?) specialize in this kind of stuff?

Thank you!
Meri

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-11, 08:44 AM
Hi Emarry:

Yes, there are landscape engineers. I think that they are a branch of civil engineering. Generally, they would work on large projects.

I have had good luck getting advice on solving similar drainage issues we had with several houses from the town engineer or building inspector. Usually would cost me a lunch or a beer (but be careful about this).

Once I knew what had to be done and what to watch out for (not impacting abuting property), The problems were fairly simple (but not cheap) to fix. For example:

1) Ground water flowing around the house. I've usually found a mid-size landscaping company with references I could visit to put french drains on the property and regrade the lot slopes..
2) New driveway and grading. Might have to be coordinated with (1), but a reputable driveway firm should be able to do this.
3)Sump pump. I had a plumber put one in two years ago for $1,000. Pretty much solved the rest of my problems.