Do you have a bush removal trick?

Old 03-22-11, 02:00 PM
Do you have a bush removal trick?

I have five bushes of various sizes in front of my house. They are in bad shape and I would like to get them out roots and all without the expense of a landscaper. Anybody have a magic trick? I can't think of any.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-11, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Bobcat and a chain...works like magic.

No easy answers...but dig out a bit,, chop the outer roots, get the chain around the base and they'll come right out. Rental about $125 for 4 hrs...do the prep first..

Old 03-22-11, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Pour gas on them and light them up. That should remove them...ha ha..Just kidding. Please dont try that.

Gunguy45 got the right idea. Some are a PITA to get out. I had a overgrown bush that I dug around, and cut the roots as best I could. I tied the chain real low and hooked it up to my 4X4 tow hooks. Put it in 4 wheel and proceeded in reverse. Could I just tell you all 4 wheels were burning rubber. I had to do more of a tugging action. Well it was really a put it in reverse and floor it type of thing. Geez I thought I might of bent the frame. It was a little bush I tell you.......

Yeah..Chevy!!!! Like a Rock. Doh!!!

Mike NJ

Old 03-22-11, 05:08 PM
Pulling Bushes

Remember to wrap the chain around the bush twice before hooking. One wrap and it will simply slid off.

Old 03-22-11, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've done small to medium bushes by digging a little and putting the Cummins dually to work. Like Ken says, double wrap the bush to keep it from slipping off.
I believe if I rented something, I'd rent a Terramite back hoe. My favorite for "trimming" nuisance bushes.

Old 03-22-11, 07:42 PM
I use nylon straps for pulling bushes. Cut off all the limbs but leave a stump to wrap the strap around. Dig around the roots and sever the biggest ones. I use an old pair of loppers just for this. Wrap the strap around the roots and cinch it so that it tightens with a strain.

I use my pickup no problem. I put a bit of slack on the strap and get a head start to jerk the stump out. Just be careful not to get too much slack or you might end up wearing the stump.