I DON't want to use a weedeater anymore!!!!

Old 03-26-11, 06:50 AM
I DON't want to use a weedeater anymore!!!!

I have about a 1/2 acre that has a chain link fence that goes around the property line.

In the past, i have used a weed eater and gone through a crap ton of line trying to cut the grass in between the links of the fence. this is very tiring and a waste of money as well.

i dont want to use a weed eater anylonger to do this. last year i did buy grass killer and sprayed it where the grass meets the bottom of the fence......that seemed to work but you do see a line of dead grass at the bottom.......not exactly pretty.

does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of the grass at the bottom of the fence so it will be gone forever or at least to where i would only have to do little maintenance to keep it up?

id be willing to take the chain link fence down but we have dogs, aso for now it remains.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-11, 07:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You don't have to jam the strings into the fence. Just surgically remove the grass and keep it away from the fence itself. I use the DR Trimmer and the head tilts for fence trimming . Since it is on wheels it is more maneuverable and uses a tougher string than weed eater type trimmer. I use it on fences as well as around tree bases where you don't want to even think of touching the tree trunk. Well used to until I got my ZTR, which eliminates 9/10ths of my trimming as opposed to a finish mower ( I have 4.5 acres to mow)

Old 03-26-11, 07:11 AM
would you mind posting a link where i can find a ZTR?

Old 03-26-11, 07:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Many manufacturers from Kubota, Cub Cadet, Grasshopper, Dixie Chopper. They are Zero Turn Radius mowers.

Old 03-26-11, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back to the original question, you can use the weed killer and then a thin strip of mulch to hide the dead grass.

Old 03-26-11, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
The first few applications of herbicide will leave dead brown grass but after a while there will be no more dead grass and you will have a bare strip of dirt under the fence. Regular wood mulch is more attractive than dirt but can get blown around a bit when mowing and floats away with heavy rain. Synthetic/rubber mulch stays in place better but is considerably more expensive but it lasts almost forever.

Once the grass is gone you can apply a preemergent herbicide that will leave an invisible barrier on the surface of the soil that prevents new weeds & grass from germinating and stops early growth. I think Roundup now has a product with a preemergent herbicide in with the usual glyphosate. Personally I don't like "combined" products since you're often applying chemicals you don't need at that time but they are convenient, albeit expensive.

Old 03-26-11, 06:35 PM
I dug up along the fence because I was tired of trimming. I put down landscape cloth and a couple of inches of rubber mulch. The stuff works great, doesn't rot or blow away.

I didn't use an herbacide because I've added some plantings along the fence but I've had no problems with weeds..

Old 03-27-11, 10:04 PM
Hi i canm advise you at looking at some sorts of edging material once you find the right kind of edging material i would recommend you adding some plastic right underneath the fence this will prevent any weeds from growing under the fence and will allow you to mow over the edging material wheh n you need it.

I have a landscape company in southern california and i have done this a lot