Sod Installation Question in NJ

Old 03-27-11, 12:53 PM
Question Sod Installation Question in NJ

I am thinking about installing sod is an area of my yard that is difficult to grow grass from seed. It is a partially shaded area near the house approx 400-500 sq. ft. The other issue I have is that I have 2 dogs.

Any advice as to the best way to approach this? Is it actually worth the time/expense? What type of prep work is involved?

I really would prefer a paver patio instead but it is just not in the budget.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-11, 02:51 PM
his jgido759 how are you? well instead of placing grass have you thought about adding some ground cover? there are lots of varieties that do great in the shade unlike grass they can take all kinds of punishment and dogs well they will most likely look elsewhere to do their business. Also adding some native plants would do great i can assure you that if you choose the right native plants you will have a great looking garden at half the price of the sod...

BTW just to let you know im a landscaper in california so i am not so familiar with the grass types on your side of the country

Old 03-27-11, 04:21 PM
Cool

Ground cover wouldn't work in this location. It is the actual "livable space" we use for our patio furniture, bar, etc. That's why I would prefer a paver type patio in this spot.

The sod would probably take before I brought out the lawn furniture if I did it within the next few weeks.

Old 03-27-11, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by jgido759 View Post
Ground cover wouldn't work in this location. It is the actual "livable space" we use for our patio furniture, bar, etc. That's why I would prefer a paver type patio in this spot.

The sod would probably take before I brought out the lawn furniture if I did it within the next few weeks.

well have you thought about crushed rock? some looks amazing and can be really useful for drainage

Old 03-28-11, 06:50 AM
Yes, I have. But, not very pleasant to walk on barefoot while heading to the pool.