extensive root system coming towards house

Old 03-31-11, 11:22 AM
Post extensive root system coming towards house

I have a 24 year old willow tree in my backyard at about 14 feet from the house on top of aabout a 7 ft slope. The slope comes down towards the house and I can see the huge root system of the tree on the ground coming under the foundation. Right now there does not seem to be any cracks in the foundation or water leaks in the basement, but should I take any preventive measures. I really like the tree and would rather not remove it. Any solutions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-11, 03:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sometimes choices are difficult to make. Tree...........or house. If the roots infiltrate your house's footing and foundation, it is hardly a choice.

Old 04-01-11, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
I don't see a choice here - tree or house should be a no-brainer

Old 04-01-11, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Willows have some of the worst root systems and should never be planted anywhere near a house or septic. Time to call someone now, before you have issues.

Old 04-01-11, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
The tree's gotta go.

When a tree like that is cut down. The minute it hits the ground I paint the stump with glyposate (roundup) concentrate syrup. It is the concentrated syrup you mix with water to spray and kill weeds around the house. If you immediately apply the concentrate to the cut stump it will prevent it and suckers from re-growing.

The other option if you wish to save the tree is have someone with a trencher come in and run a deep trench between your house and the tree to cut the roots. Unfortunately you will have to do this every couple years and it's not an option if you have buried utilities in the area.