Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

1/2" compression adaptor x 3/4" hose swivel leaking

Old 04-02-11, 07:36 PM

I'm converting my PVC to drip. Bought the needed parts and installed 3 conversions today. 1 is great; 2 leak really bad. The adaptors are leaking at the junction between the 3/4" threads portion and the compression portion (of the part). Not leaking at the threads. I thought maybe the 2 were bad so I got more, same problem. The one that is AOK IS a different "brand" but I don't know where I got it (naturally!).

Is there some trick to these? All 3 installed the same. The only thing I can see that's different is that there is a little bit of movement on the 2 that are leaking whereas the other one does not have that issue.

Thanks, DD

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-11, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
Is there a rubber washer in the 3/4" hose adapter side on all three of your fittings. I assume your 1/2" compression is going to 1/2" black poly tubing? Is the end of the tubing cut reasonably square and there are no scratches on the outside of the tubing where you are connecting?

Old 04-03-11, 09:16 AM
I'll have to check. The new one I tried yesterday did have the rubber washer, I remember b/c I had a bit of a fight to get it seated flat. The others have a washer w/ a wee wire filter. I was reluctant to undo the one that's not leaking, but I'll go do that now.

Old 04-03-11, 09:41 AM
Yep, there's a washer. The difference seems to be in the adaptor, although they all say they're 1/2" the one that isn't leaking goes on easier than the others; all the elbow connectors that I'm connecting to are the same so it's not that. I'll have to go check the other two supply houses I shop at to see where I got the "good" one. Very annoying.