Filling in hole after removing above ground pool

Old 04-08-11, 12:50 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling in hole after removing above ground pool

I recently purchased a home that had an above ground pool that I was not thrilled to keep. I agreed to give it to a friend of mine, which worked out well, but now I have a large, sandy hole to fill in. The pool was not set very deep - about 1˝" on one side and sloping down to about ground level on the other. The surface is all sand and there are small rocks lining where the outside of the pool was setup. My question is what do I need to do to fill this in and begin growing grass? Can I just work the rocks evenly into the deeper portions of the sand and fill soil overtop of them? And finally, do I need to remove the sand or can I work soil directly into it and still grow some nice grass? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-11, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Likely the soil is compacted to some extent. I think you should remove the sand and rocks (maybe evenly spread the sand around the other parts of the yard), add soil, til it in, compact lightly, then seed or sod.

Old 04-08-11, 01:17 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
First, get rid of the rocks

Second, you could till the sand into the soil but I've struggled for too long trying to grow grass in sand, I'd remove it and bring in good dirt

Old 04-08-11, 02:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
I would also remove the sand. Weeds will grow through the sand easier than most grasses so you might have a circle of weeds in your yard. Since the pool was so shallow it sounds like you won't have much filling in to do. Depending on the thickness of the sand layer you might be able to just roto-till it into the soil, killing two birds with one stone; distributing the sand and breaking up the compacted soil. I would try to remove as many of the rocks as possible.

Old 04-08-11, 05:35 PM
S
Originally Posted by curtsams View Post
I recently purchased a home that had an above ground pool that I was not thrilled to keep. I agreed to give it to a friend of mine, which worked out well, but now I have a large, sandy hole to fill in. The pool was not set very deep - about 1˝" on one side and sloping down to about ground level on the other. The surface is all sand and there are small rocks lining where the outside of the pool was setup. My question is what do I need to do to fill this in and begin growing grass? Can I just work the rocks evenly into the deeper portions of the sand and fill soil overtop of them? And finally, do I need to remove the sand or can I work soil directly into it and still grow some nice grass? Thanks.
I have the exact same issue that I was hoping to sttampt to tackle tomorrow... REALLY hoping someone comes in and gives good advice for this.. Tired of looking at the brown ring in my back yard

Old 04-08-11, 05:53 PM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
Remove the rocks, remove most of the sand and have a load of top soil brought in.
Do not waist a lot of time trying to get all the sand out. Any good lawn needs drainage and sand works well for that.

Old 04-11-11, 11:40 AM
C
Thanks for all the good advice. This brings me to an additional question - anyone know where to dispose of unwanted rocks & concrete. I took 4 posts out of the ground that held the posts for the stairs to the pool and now I have 4 large chunks of concrete on my hands!