Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Received Quotes from Lawn Care Companies. Wondering what I can handle

Old 04-21-11, 08:28 AM

I've had a few companies out to provide estimates to fix my yard's awful condition. I live in Midwest, have two labs, and two kids. So the brutal winter leaves me with lots of mud, grass that comes up with the turn of a foot, and a nightmare all around. Lawn care companies vary from overseeding to sodding. I want to go overseeding route. Companies recommend power raking, aerating, overseeding, and then covering with straw. I can rent an aerator and a power rake for a day. But are both necessary> Can I aerate and overseed? Or power rake and overseed? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and get the whole shebang done?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-11, 01:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have rocky soil or soil with a lot of weeds, you will appreciate the rake. It will smooth out the lawn really well. Now, renting them both for a day will probably cost you as much as the first call of the lawn company. Only thing is, they will keep charging you monthly. You can do all of this. Best way to start is to find out what nutrients your dirt needs to grow the type of grass you want. Take several soil samples and send them to your County Extension Service for analysis. Best bang for the buck. That way you aren't spending money on things you don't need, AND are putting down exactly what you do need. That, combined with overseeding and a little WHEAT straw, not HAY will help get you started. Hay has seeds left in it of goodness knows what type grasses, so you will have that competing with your overseed. Wheat straw has had all the seeds removed (to make bread) and provides a perfect overlay.
Hope this gets you started, and you will come back and ask more questions. There are a great bunch of advisers on the forum that have good experience with what you are describing.