Draining The Swamp That Is My Yard

Old 04-26-11, 10:10 AM
Draining The Swamp That Is My Yard

Good afternoon everyone. I'm a new member of this forum, but I've searched through it looking for answers on other things. I finally joined because I'm out of stones to turn over looking for answers. I have serious yard drainage issues. All of my neighbors have yards that slope towards mine so that water can drain into a creek that is at the bottom of a hill to the right of my property. Unfortunately, someone prior to me decided to level the yard and remove the slope that allowed water to continue its course. To top that off, my whole yard slopes towards my house (2'-0" over 150"-0") causing all of that water to pool around my foundation. This water then finds its way into my basement through the walls and the seam where the walls and floor meet. I know that this hydrostatic pressure issue can destroy my foundation so my goal is to eliminate the water pooling. I'm open to any suggestions to get the water away from the foundation. My down spouts tie in to drains that run out to the street, so my thought was that I could add some kind of yard drainage to tie into this and redirect the water, but they appear to be buried kind of shallow, maybe a foot or two tops. Again, any thoughts are appreciated. I found this article about underground slopes but have no idea if its feasible or if it'll work. (Foundation Drainage: correcting slope and downspout problems ) If this is the wrong forum, I apologize. I didn't see one that looked like a better fit for my problem. Thanks for your time, I know thats a long post.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-11, 09:40 PM
Same here

I have virtually the exact same problem I really hope someone has some ideas. I am thinking French drain and sump pump

Old 05-05-11, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums, both. When certain numbnuts decide "looks" precede practicality, you wind up with poorly drained yards. Basically all that is left is to create opposite drainage into the creeklet, or building of swales in the landscaping to take the water away from your foundation. Interior french drains and pumps are absolutely the last line of defense. Giving the water a way to go will enhance your chances of normalcy in the basement setting. It is good the downspouts are run away. That takes quite a bit of water that would normally add to your pool and sends it to the storm drains. Not being able to see your situation, it may be worth a small amount to have a landscape architect give you opinions as to what can be done. They can survey the area and determine changes in elevations that you can follow through with, either DIY or hired professionally.
Let us know if we can help further. You can also post pictures if you wish. Sometimes it helps us to make suggestions if we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-06-11, 11:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Like a kitchen sink.

Sounds like your property is a catch all. Yes, excavating a waterway to the creek would be a positive drainage solution. Buried utilities have to be considered and also, what to do with all the soil that would be removed. If the creek ever rose enough to backflow to your foundation? Not seeing your property, it is hard to evaluate. I would have to say, having a "drywell" sump installed. Basically you would have a hole dug out in the problem area, big enough to suffice, and fill it with a proper size of rock and either drain the drywell to a storm drain or install a pump, then determine where to pump the water to. The water goes in the well from the top and can be drained out the bottom (by gravity) to a proper location. It depends also, on how much water your dealing with. Some soils "perculate" allowing the water to simply soak in, you then dont have to pump it or create a drain. If you go with the "perculate" idea, consider how far away from the foundation to place it. Use any soil that is dug up to add (if needed) around the foundation, keeping the slope to drain away, towards the well. Remember to always keep the soil sloped away, use your dirt wisely to make the water do what you want. Also remember to keep soil 6 inches below your siding for termite safety.