Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Getting ready to install SOD need as much advice as possible!!!

Old 05-11-11, 04:52 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello, what a wonderfull site I have stumbled upon. Anywho, I am getting ready to lay about 700 sq ft of sod (Midiron) in my back yard and I want to make sure I do it right so I dont blow 350 bucks.

Let me start by saying the currently the dirt in my back yard is extremely fine. So fine that it creates dust clouds when kicked up. I understand that I have to start off with clearing rocks and weeds and all that jazz and then follow up with rototilling. I am currious as to if I should lay top soil (if necissary) and fertilizer or starter seed and then till or vice versa. If I need top soil and fertilizer how much per square foot will I need? I know the basics of caring for the sod once its layed but I understand it is extremely important to do proper prepping, I want to make sure I dont screw it up. I know there is tons of step by step sites online but I figured I would get advice from people that have actually done it. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Old 05-11-11, 10:46 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I just did 600 sq. ft. last weekend and the farm where I purchased the sod told me to lay starter fertilizer down as well as lime. Was told that 50lbs. of each would cover about 1000 sq. ft.

Afterwards, just water, water, water and make sure the ground beneath the sod stays damp.

Old 05-11-11, 11:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you have one you can stop by your local agricultural extension office and pick-up a form & box to do a soil test. They will be able to tell you exactly what is needed. At the least I would take a bucket of soil to someone knowledgeable in your area (con you go to the sod farm?) and ask what they think of your soil. It could just need tilling (cheap) or they may tell you to haul out all your dirt and bring in 6-9" of topsoil (expensive).

Do you have an irrigation system?

Old 05-13-11, 11:38 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I'm with Dane - this is the perfect time for a soil test

kathann voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: