Mowing Wet Grass

Old 05-18-11, 11:25 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mowing Wet Grass

I have always mowed my lawn when the grass was dry. But I moved to another city and now I am at the mercy of morning dew every day this Spring. I have to wait to around 4:00 pm for the grass to dry enough to cut. This season, the east coast areas having been getting a lot more rain then usual and this has kept the soil wet which does not help at all. Even when the grass feels dry to the touch, I can feel the wetness after I cut it and it adds a lot of weight to the collector bag.

I am looking for tips on how to make it easier for me to mow while the grass is wet.
The only things I can think of, is to raise the mower height and mow; then lower it the next day and mow again. Then there's the idea of taking the collector bag off and using a leaf rake to gather up the cut grass in piles. I do not know if I can do a good job with that idea because I do not want to track in grass into the house. I also have two dogs who would care less.
Tips anyone?

Old 05-18-11, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The first idea is really the only way to go. Also..as to why it feels dry but seems wet after....the blades are all perked up from the recent rain (more moisture in the leaves), plus I imagine the suction from the mower is pulling some up as well.

Old 05-18-11, 12:44 PM
R
Thanks Gunguy45,
This is an issue that occurs when we get unexpected rainfall and morning dew. It makes it difficult to stay on a schedule to mow.

Old 05-18-11, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
You can mulch it. If its too long and wet you need to take half cuts so the blade cuts it up good. Also after cutting wet grass its important to clean the bottom deck. The grass builds up and gets hard. The blade does not cut or shoot out the grass properly. I use a large putty knife to scrape the bottom. Also keep the blade sharp.

Mike NJ

Old 05-18-11, 01:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't bag my grass, unless I wait too long between mowings - there is no need to rake. I would think that you'd be better off not bagging while the grass is wet.
The way I've always cleaned my mowers is to tip it on it's side and blast it with a water hose. Real effective and not much bending over

Old 05-18-11, 01:38 PM
R
The front lawn is not usually walk on after mowing and I see your point but the rear yard is our playground. So it would be a pita to clean our shoes, plus the kids shoes and the dogs paws of wet grass. This would have to be done multiple times during the day. Not very comforting to say the least. I would rather mow twice then put up with grass clippings throughout the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: