Thin grass

Old 05-20-11, 09:57 AM
Thin grass

I have a area about 50x30 that the grass is thin I think I only cut that area 2 time all last year. I fertilize with scotts weed and feed in the spring and with winterizer in fall, no change. I did a soil test and everthing was normal. I tried morliganite this year all the other grass area looks great all but the one area . The area I'm talking about is on the edge of a bank. There is about a 40 ft drop at a 45 deg angle to the river. Anybody know what I can try.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-11, 10:58 AM
Have you tried overseeding in the fall? What is morliganite? I tried Google but no luck.

Old 05-20-11, 12:41 PM
Yes I overseeded last fall and the fall before that and before that nothing seens to work.
By the way it's spelled milorganite sorry

Old 05-20-11, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
It's very likely you'll never grow anything like grass there. The fact that its basically on a riverbank would tell me that it could be rock underneath..or I would think it would erode.

If the lawn won't grow..you might try looking for other decorative options. Ornamental grasses and such. Maybe with wood chips and a path?

Old 05-20-11, 01:40 PM
thin grass

The type of soil I have is good black dirt for the first 1 to 2 ft the rest is pure sand. when I bought the house from my inlaws 10 yrs ago the grass looked really good. the only thing I did was to cut down 2 apple trees and put up a 20 x 30 shed in that area the grass just seemed to get worse over the yrs. I have lots of big trees on the bank. I have a dog kennel in the middle. on the north side the grass grows like weeds same soil same grass seed differant results. Over the yrs I have been planting grass on the bank that stuff looks really good.

Old 05-20-11, 03:29 PM
This fall, put a 1/2" layer of compost down. Seed the area as if it was a brand new lawn. Take the back side of a leaf rake and gently rake the area so the seeds get a little bit covered. If you think rain will wash any of it away before the grass grows, throw some straw down.