Plastic Control Valves

Old 05-27-11, 01:14 AM
Plastic Control Valves

Ever had an object get slammed between the diaphragm and the seat? If so that is why your sprinkler heads are constantly discharging water. Is there a fix for this or do what I have been doing, start digging... When the diaphragm slams shut at the end of cycle a small grit object gets caught perfect timing and gauges the plastic seat... Frankly I perfer brass... Talk to me anybody...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-11, 08:38 AM
Use proper grammar and punctuation. What is your question?

Old 05-28-11, 02:39 AM
Cool Gouging Valve Seats

Sorry, we keep getting leaky sprinkler heads due to bad control valves. I was just wondering if there is a fix for the plastic valve seats, rainbird etc... If I am going to dig and change control valves, then i'm converting to brass. Brand new plasic valves will work until some object gets caught between the diaphragm and seat and gouges the seat allowing water to leak pass the closed diaphragm. Maybe a clip on seat or something?? I work for the Army and I see how contractors get away with the cheaper product, leaving us plumbers to clean up sometimes before warranty expires. Any ideas? If not, these holes I dig will give me some good cardio...LOL
Don't have spell check here, so sorry about the spelling...

Old 05-28-11, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are using globe valves or gate valves then I would convert to brass ball valves, not plastic. Yes, you can get trash in your present valve seats, and it will only get worse. Make the change to ball valves and it should help.