3" high dry stack flag stone wall

Old 06-04-11, 05:29 PM
3" high dry stack flag stone wall

We are redoing a planter bed in front of our house. I have some flag stone left from a the walk way i did last fall and thought using it as an edge/wall would be a good way of trying everything in. Wall will be 4"-5" high at highest point (18" section) but the vast majority will be 2 stones high (3" +/- I guess) - the question is do I need to go 4" down and fill with stone?

No problem doing it, itís just a last minute adder to our project and will delay it. i want to do it right I'm just wondering if its needed since the wall wonít have any purpose other than ecstaticís.

Ohh I live in New England so there will be freezing in the winter.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-11, 07:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you planning on breaking up the flagstone into more manageable pieces? How deep will your wall be? With only 3 high, You won't have the weight of a full wall, so IMO a footing won't be imperative. You will have heaving and sinking that is inherent with your climate, but it should be at a minimum considering the height. Now, if you are looking to build a "wall", definitely dig your footing and add gravel making a level surface.

Old 06-05-11, 08:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Double post. See Bricks and masonry. May be better suited here, but let the mods move the entire post if that's the case.

Old 06-05-11, 08:59 AM
My neighbors did the same sort of thing around their planting beds. From what I can tell, they just laid it right on the soil. If for some reason you did have a problem, the wall is so small it would be easy to repair those areas.