Choosing Sprinkler for installation

Old 06-22-11, 02:02 PM
Choosing Sprinkler for installation

There are numerous choices.

You have ones that raise 2, 4, 6, 8 inches high.
You have impact or gear driven ones and simple spray heads?
They have ones that even spray in rectangular shapes.

I have checked plenty of web sites and they simply provide whats available and nothing about choosing one type over another.

How can one tell which sprinkler type to choose?
All the gear driven, impact and spray head have the same range, but there has to be some criteria when one would be preferred over the other.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-11, 06:15 PM
If your still in the design stage there are sites that can help explain why you would choose one type over another, as well as help with the design. The main factors that decide which type are water pressure and volume, area and budget. The other factor most often forgotten is to have matched precipitation rates over the whole coverage area.

Old 06-22-11, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Hi.

They really dont all spray the same. The tests are inside a controlled enviroment and possibly a few drops spray at 15 ft say if its a 15 ft spray head. You want head to head coverage and sprays dont spray too far, and you would need too many for a large area.

Theres alot involved but it is gallons per minute per head. How many on each zone, and you want to keep the same type together. Zone 1 rotors, zone 2 spray heads etc.

The rotors move, the spray heads are fixed.

Stay away from impacts IMO.

It really depends on the shape of your property. Put a rough draft here with footage. People can give you a rough idea. Also what is your gpm? And at what PSI?

Sprays dont work well over 40 psi and start to mist. Rotors work best at 40 plus psi.

Its kind of complicated if you never done it. You need to size the pipe correctly and calculate friction loss, gpm per zone covering the correct distance, with the correct size spray nozzles, etc....

Mike NJ

Old 06-23-11, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
Rain Bird has a free sprinkler system design service. You just fill out the form and send them a drawing of your yard and they will advise what sprinkler heads to use and where to locate them. I recently did a really small yard with lots of curves with big planters in the way. Their design service was very helpful in dealing with my rather difficult space.

Old 06-23-11, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
Rain Bird has a free sprinkler system design service. You just fill out the form and send them a drawing of your yard and they will advise what sprinkler heads to use and where to locate them. I recently did a really small yard with lots of curves with big planters in the way. Their design service was very helpful in dealing with my rather difficult space.
Currently waiting for a plan to be returned from one company but did use software from another company for an immediate review.
I thought the results were a bit excessive for such a small yard.
The yard is only about 122x79 feet yet there were about 70 sprinkler heads.

The plans show the small strip by the road as having 16 heads yet as I walk up/down the strip all my neighbors have no more than 6. So, I only see these "free" plans as a way to help them make money as opposed to actually help me.

Old 06-23-11, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
One thing I've noticed with some DIY sprinkler installations is that the sprinklers simply cover the area. The sprinkler heads are spaced further apart and their spray pattern meets in the middle. With a professionally designed system they usually have one sprinkler spray to the next sprinkler so you have about 50% overlap leading to more sprinkler heads.

----
I first tried an online program from one site but it was useless for my complex layout. My jaw dropped when I saw the design come back from Rain Bird. I could not believe so many heads could be crammed into such a tiny area. I have about 400 square feet of grass being irrigated by 14 heads. Once the system was installed and running I could really see why so many heads were necessary.

Old 06-24-11, 05:47 AM
I was able to scan in a copy of the yard. Granted not the best image but hopefully it helps.

Old 06-24-11, 06:03 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know about 70, but I can see how your yard would need a lot of heads. Those long narrow strips will need a lot of short range heads spaced relatively close together.

When you get around to ordering/buying your spray heads & nozzles get some extra heads/nozzles of various ranges if you are not able to easily purchase them locally. You will probably have to do some tweaking (changing heads) once the system is finally installed and you see where they are actually covering.