Zoysia Grass Maintenance

Old 06-30-11, 10:48 AM
Zoysia Grass Maintenance

Most of my lawn is Zoysia, and I failed to cut it as short as I should have at the beginning of the growing season (1" supposedly). Therefore, it is not nearly as green as it should be. My adjoining neighbor's yard looks great because he always cuts his so short. My question is, if I start cutting my grass short now, will it begin to green up? Also, I'm trying to get the Zoysia to spread through the remainder of my yard. What is the quickest way to do so without planting plugs or laying sod? Should I fertilize the Zoysia just where it meets the fescue to promote spreading? Should I kill off the fescue completely?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-11, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Zoysia is a warm season grass and fescue a cool one - fertilize and water only when the zoysia is actively growing and it will overtake the fescue more quickly (in other words, don't fertilize and water when it would benefit the fescue).

If you do decide to mow shorter, make sure you're not cutting off more than 1/3 of the blade at any one time; you may need to lower the height through multiple mowings.

Old 07-01-11, 09:51 AM
Ok, so considering its a warm season grass and its warm out, I'm assuming it's actively growing. I mowed it to about 2" yesterday then applied a second round of Nitrogen and watered it this morning. My main concern is whether the grass will green up again. It's kind of brown looking now, but I think most of the brown color is coming from old/dead growth, which I can probably just rake up. Regardless, it is nowhere near as green as my neighbor's yard, who always keeps his Zoysia 1.5 to 2" at the most.