White flowers (I think) all over grass

Old 07-04-11, 10:16 PM
White flowers (I think) all over grass

Hello,
Please forgive me as I don't know much about lawns. I have very little grass & lots of weed which I would like to get rid of but do not know what to use?. The biggest problem I have are these little white flower I have no idea what they are. One friend who has been cutting my grass since my lawn mower has been down said "They are pollen but are not coming from his mower" I have been looking around for a spreader but don't know what to put in it I don't see the nighbours with them!. My question is how do I get rid of these things? I just want the lawn to look nice.
Thank you for any help you can share with me.
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-11, 11:42 PM
The most likely culprit is clover and will totaly take over a yard if given half a chance. If you see little white ball like flowers all over the yard that will confirm it. You will need to check with your local area garden centers for the right chemical avalable in your area.

Old 07-05-11, 04:52 AM
Group Moderator
I agree that it could be clover. Here are a couple pictures of clover? In my yeard it's the only thing that reliably grows part of the year. Deer, rabbits and groundhogs love to eat it.

Old 07-05-11, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
Clover's pretty easy to kill, IMO

That said, it fixes nitrogen to the soil, so it is not without value

Old 07-08-11, 01:42 AM
Good Morning Mike,
The photos taken by Pilot Dane look just like them. The white ones they are all over as far as the second photo they are only in one area. I have had them for years now but was looking at others lawns & they have nothing. I never was one for yard work but this year for some reason I want to try to have a nice lawn!. I would say with the other weeds I have about 40% lawn or grass & the rest weed.
Having said that do you think it would be better to call one of those lawn places?. As the only thing I have is a lawn mower finally I guess I would need a spreader weed whacker. I'll check with a garden store today I think we still have one left & tell them what you think.
Thank you for your help & time!
Will,

Old 07-08-11, 01:51 AM
Wow those are some great pictures the white ones are what I have everywhere as far as the second on there is just a patch of them. As I said before I'm not much doing yard work but what kills me is I see nobody using a spreader & they have none of these flowers. I just don't get why I have tons of them?. Not to mention other weeds I don't know what causes them but I'm going to try to get rid of them.
Thank you for the pictures they are exactly what I have!.

Old 07-08-11, 03:12 AM
Group Moderator
In my case I have a lot of clover because of the quality of my soil. In the areas of lawn where I have decent top soil I have beautiful grass but the area where the top soil was lost during construction of the house I have mostly clover.

Old 07-08-11, 05:58 PM
Although we use a comercial grade chemical, any liquid weed controler for lawns will do the job. One major spraying then ocasional spot spraying should deal with both the clover and any broad leaf weeds you have.

Old 07-08-11, 06:53 PM
I think your problem is that you need to take better care of your grass. You are going to kill all this clover off and then have dirt spots. You may find yourself better served by concentrating growing grass and keeping it healthy than to just go and kill the clover. Some clover is good to have in your lawn because of what mitch said.