sink holes in lawn

Old 07-07-11, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sink holes in lawn

I have a few sunken areas in my front yard where trees were removed years ago. They're all filled in with grass now. You'd never know there were trees there now just by looking from the street. I'd like to fill them in and make everything flat. Some of them are only a few inches deep, but a couple are probably over six inches deep. They're maybe 3-4 feet in diameter.

What's the best way to do this? The deep ones are probably too deep to just fill in with dirt and plant grass on top of. Should I take the sod out, fill them in, and then put the sod back on top? What would be the depth cutoff for just filling them in and replanting?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-11, 10:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 63 Posts
You could fill all of them and replant or you could cut the sod, fill the hole and replace the sod on top in all of them as well, it's a personal choice as to how you want to proceed.

Personally, if you're not in a huge hurry, I'd just fill them all and throw down some seed.

Old 07-07-11, 10:17 AM
B
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I'm not sure what the pros do, but when I have a low spot I scalp it with the weed eater, leaving roots and 1/4" so the grass will regrow. I then add 1/2" or so of new soil and let it recover. Too much soil and it won't. Repeat until you are up to the depth you want. Slow, but it eliminates a new green spot that looks different from the rest. If you want to fill it in all at once, scalping it eliminates the green grass so it will not settle as much. I've never had to remove the old sod, but others may know better.

Bud

Old 07-07-11, 12:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 317 Posts
I generally just fill in the low spots with dirt and plant grass seed. If the hole is more than 6" deep I will add the soil in layers, compacting every 3-4". Then I leave the top 4" of soil uncompacted so the grass has an easier time.

Old 07-07-11, 01:44 PM
W
I had a couple of spots in my yard where I had some large bolders buried. After the dirt settled I had some large depressions some 5-6" deep. I used Bud's method adding a half inch or so of topsoil, letting the grass grow through it and adding more soil. It took a couple of years

Old 07-07-11, 01:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 317 Posts
I'm doing the "slow dirt" method to fill in some ruts in my front yard left by a heavy septic pump truck. My yard is such a mess of clover and various unknowns I did not want two strips of nice fescue right through the center. I did not trim the existing grass/weeds down first though. I just put a thin layer of dirt down and go over it several times with a rake to get the soil to settle down and help raise the plants.

Old 07-08-11, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll give the slow and steady method a try. I don't really want to take out the sod. I've done it before for some planting areas and it's not easy. The grass is dense and has deep roots so it's a heck of a job.