How to kill crabgrass and KEEP IT KILLED?

Old 07-09-11, 07:43 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to kill crabgrass and KEEP IT KILLED?

I think I am fighting a losing battle. Recently I had a lot of bare spots and some spots with a lot of weeds. (The soil is mostly clay)

I used a small tiller and tilled out and raked all the weeds. I went down about 2-3 inches. I then used Scotts Patchmaster on some areas and Scotts Sun and Shade in others. The new grass was coming up just like it should but now the crabgrass is coming up right where I seeded/patched.

Is my lawn haunted, infested, diseased or what? Maybe all three...

Did I do something wrong?

Any help in killing that stuff would be appreciated. I have been using a small auger type thing that fits on a drill, to remove them, but my yard is 100' x 145' and thats a lot of work, especially when the temps are in the high 80' to low 90's.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Oh, I forgot to mention, that before I started the tilling, I used Scotts weed and feed over the entire lawn, 3 weeks before I started
tilling.

Thanks again

Old 07-09-11, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Hi,

You need to put down a crab grass preventer. Something with halts in it. They have it for when you seed also so it does not kill the new grass.

Yes pulling out the mature plants are ideal. I have the same issue. But then you are left with holes in the ground. I plant seed and use halts for new seedlings.

Mike NJ

Old 07-09-11, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Seeds were dropped on the ground...you tilled an exposed new seeds. You could roundup a yard, see if something gets green, then roundup again and rake all the dead stuff out. If you then tilled and just leveled it...you see weeds w/in days.

Do as Mike suggests. And it HAS to be done before the seeds germinate or its a waste of money.

Old 07-09-11, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
We have a product like this in my area. I dont know what you may have in yours. Its $$. $50 bucks a back of 5K sq ft.

I only use it for when I pull the crabgrass, fill the hole with top soil, seed, and put this stuff on top in a wide enough area.

I have most crab grass gone. I have trouble on edges. Like along the driveway and sidwalks. I think the spreader misses these areas some.

Crabgrass Preventer plus New Seeding Lawn Fertilizer 10-15-10 | Grass Lawn Fertilizer

Mike NJ

Old 07-11-11, 06:26 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Typically, crabgrass is easily killed off in the spring with a pre-emergent herbicide. Once it has germinated, it's a lot tougher to deal with and many will wait till the following spring to take care if it.

kathann voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: