How to start grading from foundation (pics)

Old 07-14-11, 06:47 AM
How to start grading from foundation (pics)

As the pics show the start of my grading from the house is awful. Problem is I'm not sure where to start.

My initial thoughts:

1) Planning on replacing the patio slab(s) - that is jackhammer them out and lay new concrete that is graded properly (I'll have someone do this)

- I had considered putting paver stones over the patio, but the gap between the back slider and the current patio is only about 4 inches

2) The corner drain, need ideas for best solution - during heavy rainfall the water accumulates where it drains, plus I have dogs and kids in the back yard trampling over it. I was thinking a drywell is the best option as I have a similiar drain in the other corner w/ the same issues

3) My main question is what to do right by the foundation, clearly I need to build it up and grade the soil away from the house, but I'm not sure where to begin. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-11, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds like you have a good idea of what needs to be done. I see the window wells so I assume you have a basement. I imagine you have trouble keeping it dry with the concrete sloping toward the house.

I would also like to get the concrete slab lower/away from the siding. Next to the sliding door it looks like the concrete comes all the way up to the siding. Can you lift up or remove the siding close to the ground in that area and check the wood behind for rot?

Before doing dry wells or French drains, how well does your soil perc or allow water to soak in. At my house they are almost useless since the deeper soil accepts water at a extremely slow rate. I have to divert all of my water away from the house on the surface or in pipes that open to daylight at the end.

Old 07-14-11, 07:50 AM
Yes there is a basement, I've had a few leaks from the walls that I've patched - it hasn't leaked for over a year. Either way it doesn't mean that excess water isn't getting to the foundation that I can prevent.

To grade it away from the foundation around the window wells should I just add soil around the wells and grade it down? I'm sure there are more elegent solutions, but for me it's whatever works.

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
Next to the sliding door it looks like the concrete comes all the way up to the siding. Can you lift up or remove the siding close to the ground in that area and check the wood behind for rot?
To the LEFT of the door the slab is sunk right towards the house and the wood there is not rotted (yet) it will rot over time.

On the RIGHT side, I'd have to pull it up and check it out.

I think lowering the slab would give more options, the problem I see is where the yard begins it would be above the concrete - if I had the concrete slope to the right towards the fence and not the yard I suppose it could work, or workout some type of drainage system

The thing is with the yard there are alot of exposed roots so (I think) it needs more topsoil.

Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
Before doing dry wells or French drains, how well does your soil perc or allow water to soak in. At my house they are almost useless since the deeper soil accepts water at a extremely slow rate. I have to divert all of my water away from the house on the surface or in pipes that open to daylight at the end.
Not sure if this is a regional thing, I'm in southeastern WI - but the one drain where I noted it does accumulate, although since the yard isn't graded the water really has nowhere to go. There is a dry well in the front of the house where the sump pump drains to.

Thanks for the reply