Underground Tubing for Water Line is Leaking

Old 07-14-11, 02:00 PM
Underground Tubing for Water Line is Leaking

I am running underground lines for new spigots around my yard - the same tubing used for sprinkler systems (3/4" black plastic that comes in rolls of 100')

In two places that I made connections - using the connecters with the barbed ends - it leaks.

My method was as follows:
- cut the tubing with tin snips
- slide the connector most of the way on (until it got too tight)
- heat it up slightly (I used an acetylene torch but was very careful not to melt anything)
- slide the connector the rest of the way in
- tighten a hose clamp around.

Im not sure why this leaks. I made the hose clamps nice and tight. In fact, after the leaking I continued to tighten them. By the time I was done they were TIGHT. And I still have a very very slight leak - maybe a couple of drips every few minutes.

This is near some new pavers I just laid down and I dont want to bury these lines if it is going to leak underground.

Did I do something wrong here? Did I miss a step? How can I have any confidence in the other connections I made if these two leak?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-11, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well...the stuff for sprinklers isn't under pressure the entire time since the solenoid operated sprinkler valves are normally in a central location. A few drips during operation don't really matter.

Also...using that type tubing for potable water (yes, I understand thats not the intended purpose) that could be consumed by people could be against building codes (if you have anything like that in your area). Could be a problem when selling the place comes up.

Sorry...you need to probably use a different product...I'll let a plumber pro answer that. Either that or install a hard piped shutoff before the poly lines.

Old 07-14-11, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Hi,

Where did you get the pipe from? And what barbed fittings did you use? There is no need to heat this pipe up if its what I thing you used. Also possibly the wrong barbed fittings were used.

Mike NJ