Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Should I put an emerald green arborvitae in the corner?

Old 07-18-11, 11:25 AM

Hello, I do not have much design skill as there are times I would add something and it looks nothing like I envisioned it to look like. I am thinking about adding an emerald green arborvitae tree in the corner of my house. I do like how those trees make the corners of a house look smoother, but I usually only see them used that way on big houses. Plus I am not sure if it will look silly to have four shrubs and then an arborvitae alone in the corner. Here is a pic of my house, and you cannot tell from the pic but there is about two feet of space to fit an arborvitae there in the corner:

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/a...10718-1259.jpg

Also, when the wind blows will I hear it slapping up against my house? Please let me know and thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-11, 01:51 PM
Please anyone offer their opinion.

Old 07-18-11, 07:02 PM
arborvitae

An arb will look fine on the corner but my advice is to keep it trimmed at the top of the window when it gets to that height.

Old 07-18-11, 07:16 PM
Thanks mike. People make a big deal about trimming trees but heck I have an arbor in my background that only grew a few inches in over a year. It isn't like I will wake up one day and it is 30 feet tall :P Trimming shouldn't be a problem hopefully. Anyone else think an arbor in the corner of my house will look good?

Old 07-18-11, 09:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I love arborvitae, but so do the deer which frequent my property. After ten years if having it chomped back each winter, I gave up and dug it out. Fair warning if you have deer in your area.

Old 07-19-11, 05:55 AM
Hmm, I have seen deer about two miles down the road in the grassy undeveloped area but never in my neighborhood which is only three years old and surrounded by houses. I am not sure if they will venture out that far as there are no hiding spaces for them.