Converting wild flowers/weeds to grass

Old 07-31-11, 05:47 PM
Converting wild flowers/weeds to grass

My wife and I recently (2 years ago) moved into our first home.
It's about 1/2 an acre with a decent patch of it (about 1/5 of the lot) dedicate to wild flower growth.

The old homeowners, both retired, had maintained the wild flower growth portion very well. My wife and I both work full time jobs and it just became too much of a chore to weed out the weeds from the intended wild flowers; so we decided to convert it back to grass.

The task of clearing this out seems pretty complicated.
We have a tiller, round-up spray, rakes and shovels.... but really don't have a game plan.

I started by shoveling up patches of the ground and taking out all plants/weeds and roots.... literally plucking them out of the ground. But this was taking too much time. So, then I just would mow an area down, till it up and then try to sift out the weeds/plants and chopped up roots (I'm ignorant to the fact if I actually need to do this or not, or if I can leave this chopped up vegetation in the ground and plant grass over it.

Any ideas on how to actually tackle this chore?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-11, 09:40 PM
The easiest way to procede is to spray the area with round-up, give it a few days to get a good kill then just till everything in. If you plan for any irrigation this is the time to install it. After raking things to grade you can eather use sod or seed for your new lawn.

Old 08-01-11, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
Rule of thumb is if your lawn is more than 50% plants you do not want, kill it and start over. You're in this situation and Mike gave you good instructions for the process.

Old 08-01-11, 08:28 AM
Thank you both for responding.
I was getting so overwhelmed with the task of tilling and then trying to rake/pluck everything out of the tilled area. An hour would go by and I would hardly progress on the yard.

I thought I needed to have all the chopped up roots out.

Old 08-01-11, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Nah, kill it and then till it all in.

Keep in mind, killing it might take multiple applications - I spray roundup, wait two weeks and then respray anything still living. Repeat as necessary.