Bare spots in lawn

Old 08-15-11, 09:54 AM
Bare spots in lawn

I live in N.W. Alabama and have lawn consisting of mixed grass mostly bermuda and fescue.
I had the soil tested and it came back as only needing Nitrogen.
My lawn has many bare spots where there are only a few (healthy) sprigs of bermuda or fescue.
I have never encountered a problem like this and there seems to be no insect problem. Most of the areas are in partial shade and some are in almost full sun. I have watered these areas thoroughly.
Strange thing is--Early spring, I sewed these areas with fescue and it came up in just a few days and grew to about the second mowing and now it is all but gone and the native grass is coming up in small areas.
Entire lawn was fertalized with 0-0-33 before sewing grass, and water doesn't seem to be the problem.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-11, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Did you have the soil in the bare spots tested?

Any water run-off through that area?

What type of soil do you have?

Old 08-15-11, 12:28 PM
In late winter entire 2 acres were tested using three different, labled containers. Nearly all soil tested virtually the same. I think I would be wise to test only the bare spots at this time.
Soil is a mixture of light clays with lots of organic matter. It is almost black.
What is strange about these spots is that the surrounding grass grows so fast and thick, it has to be cut every 4 or 5 days.
I don't think runoff is my greatest concern because two of my worst spots are on higher ground and one is on a gentle slope going away and about six feet from my home.
I know that sunlight may be a problem in my front yard but it gets morning and evening sun.
My lawn was not very well taken care of by PO and it now looks worse then when I moved here two years ago. It just doesn't have the weeds, and I know that they were nore attractive then the bare ground I now have.
I have spot sprayed the entire lawn with "weed-be-gone" twice per year.

Old 08-15-11, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
I'd have those spots tested. Your soil sounds pretty good other than clay often needs to be core aerated every year or so to reduce compaction, have you done that at all since you bought it?

Can you post some pictures?

Old 08-15-11, 08:10 PM
No I have not aerated but plan to. I made photos today and will post them ASAP---THANKS--

Old 08-16-11, 03:23 AM
Group Moderator
Are the bare spots totally bare (no grass) or has most of the grass turned brown in a roughly circular pattern? Brown patch is a fungal disease common to fescue and it commonly appears June - August. Over watering or watering too frequently help make conditions right for the fungus.

Turffilesiseases:Brown Patch
Factsheet - Turfgrass - Managing Brown Patch in Tall Fescue Landscapes

Old 08-18-11, 09:03 AM
I have several photos in photobucket that I am trying to post.
I have tried everything I know and all I get is a RED X in preview.
I have not had trouble posting in other forums----What am I doing wrong?

Old 08-18-11, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
When in Photobucket hover the cursor over the picture you wish to post. In a second it will pop up with several posting options. Click in the yellowish box next to "IMG code". If it does not automatically say "copied" then copy everything in that window and post it in the body of your post on DIY.

Old 08-18-11, 09:21 AM
I have clicked on each choice--individually--- and it says "copied" in each choice. I even tried downsizing to a medium photo and smaller and still get the REDX
I will try to copy everything.

Old 08-18-11, 09:37 AM
I hope these photos help to identify my problem

Old 08-18-11, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
It does not look like a disease or at least one that's not visible now. You don't have anything but bare dirt. I wonder you might have sowed rye. Maybe a mislabeled package. It quickly germinates and grows fast but it dies when the summer heat arrives. Once we are safely past the extreme summer heat I would try once again to seed those bare areas. Maybe do a large section so you can get in with a tiller to loosen the soil.

Old 08-18-11, 10:02 AM
No grass has been sewn in these areas. The problem is getting worse because it definately wasn't this bad last year. After the soil test, I felt sure the grass would rejuvinate after the correct application of 0-0-33. I thoroughly water every Two-- THREE days and some of my areas are better.
I realize that mid summer is not a good time to sew new grass so it looks like my best bet is to work with small sections this fall after breaking the ground.
As you can see from the photos, the grass in the bare spots is healthy and is growing but not spreading.

Old 08-18-11, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Not having anything growing at all (including weeds) makes me think the soil is compcated. You could core aerate but since there's nothing there anyway to disturb, I like Dane's idea of rototilling before you seed again.

Old 08-18-11, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
0-0-33 is a very lopsided fertilizer especially for starting seeds. A popular lawn seed starter fertilizer is 24-24-4.

The first number is for nitrogen which helps plants grow taller, faster and with a darker green color. The second number is for phosphorus and it aids root development & flower production and is an important number when starting a lawn or planting new trees. The last number is potassium helps root development and helps protect plants from disease and drought resistance.

Old 08-18-11, 10:49 AM
My typo---I bought amonia nitrate--I thought the last number was the amonia nitrate!!:NO NO NO:
I just looked at sack 34-0-0
THANKS for the correction

Last edited by Giles; 08-18-11 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-18-11, 12:38 PM
Group Moderator
I am surprised you were able to buy it. Although it's a good cheap source of nitrogen, ammonium nitrate has become quite heavily regulated in recent years (another thing we can thank terrorists for). It's also a pretty hot fertilizer and quite unbalanced with no other nutrients. Not the best choice for tender young grass.

Old 09-07-11, 06:26 PM
I think this problem are comes due to problematic soil so maintain lawn you must want to test soil.