Wider Radius Sprinklers

Old 09-02-11, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wider Radius Sprinklers

Our sprinkler system doesn't have enough coverage and I would like to see if there is a suitable sprinkler replacement that will increase the coverage so that I don't have to re-plumb the lines. I assume that when they were installed, they had sufficient coverage, but now there's a 1 foot "donut" of dead grass around them where the water doesn't reach. Currently, there's Rain Bird sprinklers installed (not sure what type/model), and I've called our city to have them check the water pressure and they indicated that it was in spec.

Are there replacement sprinklers that will provide a wider radius of coverage?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-11, 12:11 AM
to help we need to know the type of head, fixed spray or rotor and the spacing of the heads.

Old 09-03-11, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 36 Posts
And what PSI do you have?

Mike NJ

Old 09-04-11, 12:30 PM
My water pressure is about 42 PSI. The sprinklers are fixed head style and the spacing is about 8 feet on average. I'm currently only getting about a 3 foot radius on the coverage, so I'm about a foot short.

Old 09-04-11, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
OK all good info. The last thing needed is to do a bucket test to see what your GPM is. From there you can calculate what type of heads you may be able to replace without ripping anything out.

Also the screens at the heads may be cogged. Have you checked them?

Put your 5 gallon bucket under the flow ( Hose bib?) and time how many seconds it takes to fill the bucket to the 5 gallon mark. Repeat this 3 times to make sure the the results are accurate (all three measurements should be about the same). Divide 300 by the number of seconds it takes to fill 5 gallons into the bucket to get the GPM. (300 / seconds to fill 5 gallon bucket = GPM) Example: 10 seconds to fill the 5 gallon bucket, therefore 300 divided by 10 seconds equals 30 GPM.

Mike NJ

Old 09-04-11, 04:00 PM
another thing to check is if the flow control knob in the center of the valves has been turned down. I have seen this happen naturaly and could be your whole problem. The design of the system should of allowed for head to head coverage so the spray patterns should reach to the next head.

Old 09-12-11, 11:32 AM
I finally got back over to my mom's house this weekend - here is the information:

Pressure = 46 PSI
Flow Rate = 8.5 GPM
Radius of sprinkler = 4 feet

It looks like the sprinklers were designed to have a 6 foot radius - I have a 2 foot "donut" dry spot around the sprinklers.

The control knobs on the valve are at the maximum setting.

Old 09-12-11, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
OK go out and pull the heads up one at a time. If they are spray heads unscrew them. There is a filter in there. Clean them.

Then get the # on the top of the heads. It will tell how many gpm they are and how many ft they spray.

Lets say they are 1 gpm. That means you could have say 7 on a zone. That would be slightly lower then your 8.5 gpm.

Run each zone and count how many heads on each zone.

If they are not sprays let us know. Do they shoot a stream? What color is the head?

Sprinklers are a bit complicated but once you get all the info its fairly simple.

Post back with the added info.

The short radius may just be from clogged heads. Its not spraying as far as it would if they were clear.

Mike NJ

Old 09-25-11, 03:13 PM
there are nozzles that are very low gallonage ie .7 gpm that cover approx. 15 ft they are called MP Rotators Hunter makes them there are also the same made by Walla Walla a sub of Nelson, they work very good and will screw into any fixed pop-up head just specify whether you have the male or female thread they make both.... Toro is male thread nozzle rainbird is female thread nozzle... for example so in theory if you had 8.6 gpm you could run 12 (.7 x12 = 8.4 gpm) of these. please note that you would have to increase that zone run time to about twice what it used to be for the same precip. rate...