winter parking on my lawn

Old 09-06-11, 01:06 PM
winter parking on my lawn

Hi there

My house is in a compact city lot, and I have a very small yard. I'd like to expand my lawn by removing a parking pad we have in the back, but I still need to be able to park my car there during the coldest parts of winter in order to plug the car in, since I'm in the Canadian prairies where it regularly gets well below 0 F.

Since I never need to park back there in summer, I'm considering expanding the lawn, and then waiting until several inches of snow have fallen in winter, packing that down a bit and then parking my car on top. Once the temperature rises above zero I won't need to plug in any more, so I could stop parking there well before the snow starts to melt.

My main concern is whether grass would grow properly under those conditions, considering that I'd only be driving on top of it once a solid layer of snow is established. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-11, 09:25 AM
Group Moderator
Can't just run an extension cord to the car?

Old 09-21-11, 01:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would say the grass wouldn't take any damage if you only park on compact snow on top of the lawn during winter. as long as you don't park your car on the lawn when it is getting warmer you and your lawn will be fine!

Old 11-01-11, 12:52 PM
oops, didn't see your guys replies. Thanks for the advice! And no, I can't run an extension cord to the car cause parking is on the opposite side of the street.

Old 11-01-11, 02:21 PM
Hi jpenns,
I'm a bit south of you, but I like to plow most of my lawn all winter. It ends up with a thin layer of ice or snow but is unprotected from the very cold. The grass does know the difference and the area that is cleared usually takes a week or so to catch up with the rest. Mine survives, all-be-it, it's not a really great lawn to start.

Bud