Overseeding

Old 09-21-11, 04:00 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Overseeding

Half of my front yard is Zoysia and the other half is fescue. Zoysia has just started going dormant (I live in Northern VA), and the fescue is growing like crazy. There are patches of fescue emerging from the Zoysia and I'd like for the entire lawn to be green this winter. Therefore, I'd like to overseed the entire lawn with a fescue mix in the next week or so while the lawn is taking off. Can I simply use a spreader and drop the seed relying on the thick Zoysia grass to germanate the seedlings, or do I need to spread a 1/2" or so of compost prior to seeding? If so, what is the best way to apply compost? Do I simply dump out the bags, rake it in, then spread the seed?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-11, 04:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Tall fescue? Generally, tall fescue does not play well with other types of grass, it tends to group into weed-like bunches.

Even if you killed all the zoysia and planted only fescue, I don't know if it would stay green all year - though it would stay green further into the fall and turn green earlier in the spring than the zoysia.

Simply put, grass seeds need to be in contact with the soil to germinate, so a thin layer of compost or topsoil is usually a good idea (your plan would work fine for this).

Old 09-21-11, 04:48 PM
M
I believe it's primarily Kentucky bluegrass mixed with ryegrass or fescue. Regardless, it stays green year round. To reiterate, I don't want to kill of the Zoysia by overseeding (if that's even possible), and want to be sure it will come back in the spring. The goal is to eventually have the Zoysia take over the remainder of the front yard while having a green lawn all year (Zoysia dominating in the spring and summer, bluegrass/fescue dominating in the fall and winter).

Last edited by mossman; 09-21-11 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 09:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
OK, I get where you're going with this and the fescue you have is not a problem.

Bluegrass and Zoysia are both competetive, I've never heard of anyone trying to maintain both in the same area at the same time and I don't even have a guess whether it will work.

Old 09-22-11, 10:51 AM
M
Ok. I'll likely go with the fescue then. That seems to be the type that is creeping up through the Zoysia anyhow, so that is a good indicator. And it dies off in the spring when the Zoysia begins taking over. Think that's the winning combination. One last question: is it possible that I could suffocate the Zoysia by applying too much compost during the overseeding process? Will 1/4" be ok?

Old 09-22-11, 11:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Could you suffocate the zoysia? Sure, that can be done but 1/4" should be ok, though I wouldn't go any thicker than that.

Old 12-24-11, 10:48 AM
M
Update: I overseeded with fescue in September and the lawn looks better. There isn't such a drastic transition from the brown dormant Zoysia to the existing cool season grass. Think I'll do this every year. Surprising thing is that it is late December and it looks like I'll need to mow the grass one more time. The fescue is still growing, and temps are in the 40's and lower 50's and sometime 20's at night. What is going on? I haven't fertilized since early August so I'm puzzled.

Old 12-26-11, 07:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
That's pretty cold to still see growth - can't see it lasting much longer.