Concrete walkway issue(s)

Old 10-09-11, 07:57 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete walkway issue(s)

I just had a walkway poured next to my house. I left a spot 12 feet long and 15 inches wide between the path and my house that I am planning on filling with black lava rock. The spot is completely surrounded by house and concrete.

The first problem is that the concrete is higher than my basement windows so to fill the spot and have it drain away from my house would require putting soil up to the halfway point on my window.

It doesn't get a lot of rain, but I'd sleep better knowing it's not all sloped towards the house. I can't run a drain now without having to dig under concrete.

The second problem is that the current depth of the spot is lower than the packed gravel under the concrete. I'm afraid that if I don't pack properly it that it will wear away underneath and mess up the concrete.

What should I pack it with keeping in mind it's next to the house and at this point needs to slope to the basement window.?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-09-11, 08:59 AM
drainage problem

my advice would be to dig a hole a couple of feet deep at one end filled with drain rock, lay some perforated drain line the length of the area to the hole, lay a base of 1/4 minus gravel to adjust the grade then cover it all with the lava rock. it will probably help if you install or replace the window well aprons to avoid any further trouble.

Old 10-09-11, 11:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 963 Votes on 884 Posts
I had a similar problem at my previous house. I ended up digging down in my future gravel area. I sloped the bottom of the hole away from the house and installed a perforated drain pipe which led downhill to daylight. Then I backfilled the hole with clean gravel which allows water to move easily through it. The surface of the gravel sloped toward the house but the water flowed through the rock to the bottom of the hole and away from the house. It worked well for the four years I was there.

Old 10-10-11, 08:33 AM
A
Thanks for the replies.

If I understand both of you correctly I still have the issue that I have nowhere to drain to other than the house or the concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: