Is roundup safe to kill weeds on a dormant lawn

Old 12-29-11, 04:23 PM
Is roundup safe to kill weeds on a dormant lawn

I was told by a golf course green manager years ago that round up would not kill the lawn in the dead of winter, but would kill cool weather weeds. I have a southern lawn of centipede in the back yard and zoysia in the front. anyone know about this. I am reluctant to try on hearsay. Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-11, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
If the grass is completely brown and dormant...I believe he is correct. But if there is any bit of green, that means it will still absorb into the leaves.

Pretty sure that RU goes inert if it gets to the ground or after it drys...

Might be best to call their help line for a firm answer.

Old 12-29-11, 11:19 PM
It's been my experience that even a dormant lawn can be damaged by round-up. Because of the surfactant in the mix, the round-up tends to stick to the grass and will be absorbed even in winter.

Old 12-30-11, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
I've used it in the middle of summer when my lawn went brown becasue I couldn't keep up with the watering - the weeds were still green so I sprayed them with Roundup and a lot of them died, most of the grass came back in the fall.

Old 12-30-11, 11:09 AM
As long as your turf is dormant it will not harm your grass. Round-up is a systemic herbicide and will not be absorbed by dormant grass. Be sure to use labeled rates and do not saturate the area. We spray our bermuda roughs and fairways every year. our rate is usually one pint to one quart per acre.

Old 01-01-12, 04:02 AM
Thank you Kerry,
We have not had a hard freeze this fall in upstate SC and some of the centipede is slightly green. I expect some frigid cold in early February and plan to proceed then'