Fill Dirt for Lawn

Old 02-21-12, 10:21 AM
Fill Dirt for Lawn

Greetings,

New home owner.

We have a check in our hands from closing made out to a company that does fill dirt for lawns. We have several low spots and places where the lawn is not draining away from the foundation properly that we are going to have them fix.

What is the proper time of year to have this done? I'm assuming we'll need to go through planting grass immediately afterward. We live in central Kansas. Common to have freezing nights all the way through early April.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-12, 04:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I question the term "fill dirt", as it may be different where you are located. Fill dirt can be contaminated with rocks, roots, etc, and I would not use it on my lawn. I would contact them and see what they propose to use, as a good top soil would be my choice to promote proper growth of your lawn. As for the time of year, I would think this time is about right to get things in order prior to planting season. You will have a lot of work to do (spreading, raking, etc) before you plant the grass.

Old 02-22-12, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
I'd let this go until you can plant grass which can depend on what kind you have. Any idea what you have?

Old 02-22-12, 06:04 PM
I see no reason you could not do this anytime.

Old 02-27-12, 12:23 PM
For seed it all depends on soil temps and type of seed.