Sprinkler heads not popping up all the way

Old 03-14-12, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sprinkler heads not popping up all the way

The sprinklers on one of my lawn zones is not popping up all the way. They only come up half way. Everything was working fine last month. I'm thinking that I have a break in the zone somewhere, causing a drop in pressure. Is there a way to locate the break without having to did up the whole line? Might there be another cause for this? The control valve is in the fully open position. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-12, 09:50 AM
The fastest way to find an underground leak, IMO, would be to first adjust all the heads in that zone to stop the water from coming out, then open the zone valve and watch the area a few minutes. If the water doesn't break the surface somewhere between the heads, the system is tight. Also, when you turn the zone valve on, you should hear the water run (unless you have a pinhole leak, in which case your pressure wouldn't be down).

If no leak, then I suspect the zone valve is not opening all the way.

Old 03-29-12, 09:55 AM
Oh, I see you checked the valve. If you are sure it is indeed fully open, locate the head nearest the valve (first in line), remove the head nozzle, turn the valve on and see if the water shoots up high (several feet, mine at 60 psi shoots up about 15 feet). You can do this in a known good zone to see what about how high you can expect. If the water shoots up high, replace the nozzle and test again by removing other nozzles until you find a head with significantly lower pressure (it should be really obvious). When (if) you do, reinstall its nozzle. Suspect a clog in the pipe between the last good fountain and the low fountain.

Also, maybe the little filters in all of the nozzles in that zone are clogged. Not likely, since the other zones work fine though.

Old 03-30-12, 06:27 PM
one other possibility is the solenoid going bad. this can cause the same results because the solenoid is not fully opening. the way to check if this is the case is to manualy turn the station on at the valve.